Assistant Dean for Communication & Outreach (13123)
The Assistant Dean for Communications and Outreach, for the School of College of Arts and Sciences , serves as a member of the College's administrative leadership team, directs the communication strategy for the College and, with the Assistant Dean for Graduate Enrollment Management, coleads marketing efforts for College graduate programs. This position is responsible for development and implementation of a comprehensive and effective marketing and communications strategy to enhance the visibility of the College, determining the journalistic worthiness news coverage and external press or community outreach, and supervising the writing style and accuracy of all communications materials. The Assistant Dean for Communications and Outreach oversees the College's web and social media presence and creates and disseminates information and materials in support of the College's activities and goals. The incumbent works collaboratively with others in the College and across campus to build effective relationships and ensure compliance with campus wide communication, marketing, branding, accessibility, and technological initiatives.
- College Marketing and Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership - Effectively communicates the mission and vision of the College and University, as expressed in the Strategic Plan. Provides leadership in developing, managing, and sustaining strong communications channels across the College’s departments, centers, and offices to promote clear, consistent, and unified messaging reflecting the College’s strategic vision. Provides communication and writing support to the Dean, Associate Deans, and other College leadership positions to create opportunities to promote and highlight research.
- Marketing & Communications Operations - Working collaboratively with University Marketing and Communications and Office of Information Technology, ensures that the College’s website is current and attractive reflecting the depth and breadth of the College’s activities, mission, and vision. Oversees all aspects of internal and external communications, including a diverse array of print/electronic publications, website, and social media initiatives.
- Graduate Marketing Strategy - In partnership with the Assistant Dean for Graduate Enrollment, develops and implements overall strategic marketing and communication plan, including core messaging for the College, its initiatives, and programs, based on the goals of the College Dean and AU leadership. Works with the Assistant Dean of Graduate Enrollment Management to implement the College's graduate marketing strategy in order to effectively market the College's graduate programs to increase enrollment.
- Team Development & Management - Leads the College’s marketing and communications office. Establishes and monitors staff performance and development goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives, establishes priorities, and conducts performance appraisals.
- Liaison with Campus Units - Liaises with the University’s marketing, media relations, publications, and information technology offices to coordinate resources and ensure compliance with campus wide communication and marketing efforts. Represents the Dean in their absence as projects are assigned.
- Budget Management - Prepares and oversees the College’s annual marketing and communication budget in consultation with the Associate Dean for Budget and Administration. Works with the Graduate Enrollment Team and Office of Graduate Studies to determine annual budget requests for graduate marketing. Allocates resources to marketing and communication initiatives to implement the College’s overall marketing and communication strategy. Monitors expenditures to ensure accuracy and adhere to the established budget.
- Coordinates and reviews the work of others.
- Trains and mentors new and junior staff members.
- Responsible for staff performance management and compensation recommendations or decisions.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring/ employment recommendations or decisions.
- The worker normally performs their job indoors in an office environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Team Leader/Consultant A
Required Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Journalism or equivalent education, training and experience
- 8-10 years experience as a management professional in the areas of journalism, communications, marketing, advertising, public relations, or related area, with proven ability to write succinctly and journalistically and develop and execute marketing and strategic communications plans
- 1-3 years experience in higher education communications, marketing, and/or development.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Demonstrated leadership competency and ability to work effectively with senior leadership teams. Project management leadership abilities and successful supervisory and staff development experience.
- Skilled in managing sensitive and urgent issues.
- Superior writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Budget development and reconciliation expertise.
- Attention to detail and the capacity to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Highly evolved teamwork skills with demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with multiple constituencies.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Marketing & Sales Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.