Sr. Manager, Operations (WIT)
Sr. Manager, Operations (WIT)
Reporting directly to the Director of Facilities Services at Washburn University, this position is responsible for overseeing the operational and maintenance procedures at Washburn University Institute of Technology ( WIT ). This includes facilities services, warehousing operations, and capital project management for all three WIT campuses in partnership with Washburn University. Partners with Washburn University Police Department on security initiatives and matters, and partners with Washburn University Purchasing Department on procurement operations. This position serves as a member of the WIT leadership team.
Position will oversee the Building/Grounds Maintenance Manager, whose team consists of approximately 8 full-time and 1 part-time staff member.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Understand and comply with all Washburn University policies, regulations, and procedures pertaining to budgeting, purchasing, and inventory control.
• Work with Washburn Tech Facilities Services department and/or vendors to coordinate repairs, building maintenance and/or modifications as requested.
• In partnership with University Facilities and WIT administration, manage budget control, contract negotiation and coordination of material procurement.
• Plan and administer capital improvement projects and renovations.
• Review and analyze project cost data and other numeric data. Accomplish assigned results for projects, or for significant aspects of complex assignments on time and budget
• Monitor budget activity and warehouse inventory levels to remain apprised of expenditures, concerns and issues with each area.
• Work with stakeholders as needed to resolve issues as they develop.
• Coordinate and represent the university in working with outside vendors and contractors.
• Review plans and specifications for new and proposed projects to insure quality end products.
• Assist in the preparation of the yearly capital project program for WIT .
• Assist in the project bidding process and oversee projects through completion.
• Monitor and control costs on tools, instruments, material, overtime and contractor services. Keep accurate records on contractor services and payments.
• Partner with the Washburn University Police Department ( WUPD ) to ensure security initiatives and matters are effectively provided to all WIT locations.
• Employee may be on-call during non-office hours to meet operational requirements.
• Perform additional job related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree AND a minimum three years’ related experience leading work teams
• A combination of post-secondary education and related experience equivalent to seven (7) years, with a minimum three years’ experience leading work teams.
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, management, construction management or related field.
• Experience with procurement or commodity management including inventory, budgets and vendor relations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of fire, electrical, HVAC systems, building automation systems, plumbing and mechanical systems OSHA, safety and hazardous materials handling required.
• Ability to prioritize and follow through on multiple tasks while maintaining high degree of accuracy, speed
• Effective interpersonal communication
• Experience working in a dynamic work environment
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable by the university’s standards
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
$60,000 - $65,000
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a Bachelor’s Degree AND a minimum three years’
related experience leading work teams; OR do you have a combination
of post-secondary education and related experience equivalent to
seven (7) years, with a minimum three years’ experience leading
- Yes - I have a Bachelor’s Degree AND a minimum three years’ related experience leading work teams.
- Yes - I have a combination of post-secondary education and related experience equivalent to seven (7) years, with a minimum three years’ experience leading work teams.
- No I do not.
- Do you have a valid driver's license? (A valid license is
required for this position and a motor vehicle report will be
conducted to verify the validity of your license.)
- Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in engineering, management,
construction management or related field?
- Do you have experience with procurement or commodity management
including inventory, budgets and vendor relations?
- Cover Letter