Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) is looking for an Instructional Designer to join its Teaching and Learning Lab at the Center for Social Equity and Inclusion. The Teaching and Learning Lab promotes a culture of reflective teaching and innovative and inclusive pedagogical practices by offering a regular schedule of interactive workshops, consultations, and a range of reference materials and resources. The Instructional Designer will join a small team of Faculty Fellows in contributing to the Teaching and Learning Lab's instructional resources and programming.
The Instructional Designer will work collaboratively and cross-institutionally with faculty, staff, and programs to optimize the use of our learning management system (Canvas) and other teaching and learning platforms and integrations in the fulfillment of curricular goals in arts and design context and across a range of modalities (in-person, blended, and online). Reporting to the Dean of Faculty, and with a dotted line to our Information Technology Services, the Instructional Designer will also plan and provide training in a range of instructional technologies and related pedagogies; apply instructional design principles and best practices to improve learning outcomes; and measure and analyze key metrics to improve instructional design. In coordination with the Dean of Faculty and IT Services, this position is responsible for researching, recommending, and developing strategies and technologies to support teaching and learning. We welcome applicants with demonstrated success in working and communicating inclusively and effectively within a broadly diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment, and a competitive benefits package.
- Plan, design, and implement community training and other educational tools
- Train faculty on the use of tools and methodology for the delivery of content and courses
- Provide consultations to faculty regarding their instructional technology goals
- Research, evaluate and deploy new instructional technologies that support faculty’s ability to teach in a variety of delivery formats
- Design and build Canvas courses delivered in and/or supportive of all modalities - online, hybrid, and in person
- Collect and report on key metrics related to learning services
- Design and develop instructional materials for faculty, students, and staff including video tutorials, online training courses, and text-based guides
- MA or MFA required, Ph.D. preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience. Focus of study might include Instructional Design, Education, Educational Technology, Curriculum, Instruction or art and design, or related fields
- A minimum of three years of experience designing and developing online courses
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-quality instructional design support (for face-to-face, online, and/or hybrid learning contexts) using Canvas
- Experience teaching at the college/university level.
- Experience must include online/blended course design, curriculum development, faculty development, or other related area
- Advanced skills in preparing media and web content
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive pedagogical practices and an institutional mission dedicated to the success of a diverse student population
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and engage in multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Some experience with Panopto, VoiceThread, and other third-party tools that integrate with Canvas preferred
- Knowledge of the principles of universal design for learning and accessibility requirements for ADA compliance
- Ability to work and communicate inclusively and effectively within a broadly diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
- D emonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Full-Time; Regular Exempt.
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Design & Graphic Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence