Posting Number NC00147P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1800 Working Title Academic Coach Position Number Department Academic Success Center (LAC) About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
Will be responsible for academic coaching and support services for students to improve academic success and retention. The Academic Coach works with students to develop an individualized academic plan that includes effective study strategies, time management, organization, and goal setting necessary for success in university classes. Responsible for overseeing the academic coaching program; assessing the effectiveness of support services; and implementing modifications as needed. Other responsibilities include presenting workshops about ASC services; assisting with tutoring services; providing coverage, test proctoring, and support in the ASC as needed; and other duties as assigned. The Academic Coach reports to the Director of the ASC . The position is governed by the policies of the institution.
Summary of Job Duties
• Assist students in identifying barriers to their academic success, develop an individualized plan to eliminate barriers, and strengthen study skills such as time management, notetaking, and preparing for tests.
• Administer learning styles inventories, work with the student to explore effective study strategies for specific courses, communicate regularly with students to assess their academic progress and modify study strategies as needed.
• Follow up with students based on alerts, progress reports, and faculty and staff referrals in student success collaborative case management database.
• Collaborate, design, implement, and evaluate academic support services, workshops and the Academic Coaching program; analyze academic coaching data and implement modifications as needed.
• Assist with the tutor placement process and the online tutoring program and implement modifications based on student needs.
• Maintain collegial relationships with faculty, academic advisors/coordinators, and other departments and refer students to additional resources as needed.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties as requested or assigned.
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience in education with academic support, student retention, and/or instruction.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Master’s degree and experience working with first-generation students, retention and student success programs preferred. Working knowledge of Banner and Microsoft Office preferred. Broad academic background and experience in learning assistance systems and retention preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of established and emerging trends, standards, practices, procedures and techniques in the field and knowledge of the theories and principles of higher education, undergraduate education, student development, retention, and student learning
• Knowledge of Student Information System software for tracking and reporting of student information
• Knowledge of curriculum, study skills, test taking, and life skill presentations
• Knowledge of placement tests including ACT and Accuplacer
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong planning and organizational ability
• Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a diverse team environment
• Ability to prioritize and implement program activities in an efficient manner and handle multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures
• Ability to give presentations
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Extended hours are occasionally required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears.
Work Schedule Salary Low 30's, Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 03/22/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applications must be received by April 1, 2021.
Anticipated start date 05/03/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith