Communications Manager and Copywriter
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Communications and Marketing, seeks a Communications Manager and Copywriter for our Saratoga Springs, NY location.
The Communications Manager and Copywriter is an integral part of telling SUNY Empire's story to both internal and external audiences. Supervised by the Director of Internal Communications within the Office of Communications and Marketing, and ultimately following the directives of the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Communications and Marketing, the communications manager and copywriter acts a multi-faceted press secretary for the entire college, helping disseminate vital information and messaging throughout the college community, which includes students, faculty, staff and alumni, while also working to enhance the college's standing in the public's eye and continue to establish it as a premiere hybrid higher education option among prospective students.
The Communications Manager and Copywriter works closely with director of external communications, internal communications and the senior marketing director, to help develop, implement, and manage a communications plan that aligns with the college's strategic priorities. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Work with internal stakeholders to write, edit, and curate communications for a variety of internal audiences
- Assist with press outreach, including writing, editing, and distributing press releases, statements, and op-eds as needed.
- Write copy for a variety of owned spaces and paid ad/marketing pieces
- Conduct interviews with college faculty, staff, and students to craft profiles and stories from around the college for inclusion in print, digital, and video pieces
- Assist with ensuring accuracy of information and consistent branding, style, and standards across all written and visual communications including external, internal, and web communications.
- Manage, write, and develop content for our internal news platform SUNY Empire News and weekly newsletter RoundUp
- Help in writing, planning and implementing photo and video shoots
- Write, copy edit, and curate content for several internal publications, including bi-annual magazine and advancement reports
- Help build, maintain and update press outreach lists.
- Manage and assist with SUNYEmpireNews and Empire.State@esc.edu shared mailboxes
- Co-manage SUNY Empire official Google Business and Yelp pages
- Bachelor's degree or above in communications, journalism, administration, or related field
- 3+ years' experience in communications, marketing, outreach, or administration
- Experience planning strategic communications or outreach campaigns
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, notably Word and Outlook
- Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) systems, such as Constant Contact
- Self-starter who will take initiative and bring new ideas and concepts to the team
- Basic knowledge of web design platforms like Terminal 4 or Wordpress
- Basic knowledge of content management systems such as Sharepoint
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Position located in Saratoga Springs, NY
- Some travel may be required
Rank/Salary: Competitive/commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the link below:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
- At least three writing samples
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Public Relations & Marketing (Campus) Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs