Assistant/Associate Professor in Medical Physiology
The Department of Neuroscience & Physiology at Upstate Medical University invites applications for a full-time, teaching position in medical physiology. This position will be filled at the rank of assistant or associate professor, depending on qualifications.
The successful candidate will assume a leadership role in teaching and administration of the physiology component in the pre-clinical curriculum taken by 1st and 2nd year medical students. The successful candidate will be able to teach multiple organ systems including pulmonary, renal, cardiovascular, and endocrine.
- Develop systems-based physiology lectures and active learning sessions, and incorporate clinically-relevant content.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of the pre-clinical curriculum, especially as related to physiology content. This includes regular attendance and participation in curricular meetings, and relevant journal clubs.
- Coordinate with basic and clinical science educators in the integration of basic sciences within organ/system-based courses.
- Co-direct and serve as thread leader in selected units in the pre-clinical curriculum that include significant physiology content, and participate in relevant activities associated with this role (e.g., meet with class officers during course to ensure relevant feedback is obtained and acted upon in a timely manner, prepare and review summative quizzes and examinations, prepare and present end of course reviews, participate in peer review of other units).
- Prepare lectures, notes, learning objectives, presentations, exams, quizzes, practice questions, and syllabi, including the posting of on-line content, for assigned lectures.
- Other responsibilities may include student advising, student recruitment and retention.
- Participate in other departmental functions, in consultation with department chair.
The successful candidate will have an M.D., or Ph.D. in physiology or a related discipline, and have teaching experience. Proficient command of the English language, both spoken and written. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Preference will be given to applicants who have completed a postdoctoral fellowship, and have relevant teaching experience. Experience in the development and implementation of courses in physiology, and demonstrated excellence in delivering course content to medical students are preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Interested candidates must apply via: https://careers.upstate.edu/en-us/job/499565/ and include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and statement of teaching philosophy. Additionally, the applicant should arrange for 3 letters of reference to be sent to the search committee at Physiology@Upstate.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Abilities and Competencies Essential to the Function of the Job
- Effective use of interpersonal and communications skills;
- Effective use of organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and follow-through;
- Ability to assess, prioritize and organize multiple tasks, projects, and demands;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collegially within a diverse faculty, including faculty from other disciplines;
- Ability to develop and deliver case-based and active learning methods in both small and large group settings;
- Requires excellent teaching, and decision-making skills;
- Willingness to learn new approaches for content delivery and their implementation;
- Understanding of current approaches to medical education and student assessment;
- Flexibility to accept other duties as needed or assigned
At SUNY Upstate Medical University, we strive to promote a professional environment that encourages varied perspectives from faculty members with diverse life experiences. A respect for diversity is one of our core values. We are committed to recruiting and supporting a rich community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We actively seek applications from women and members of underrepresented groups to contribute to the diversity of our university community in support of our teaching, research and clinical missions.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Fayette
- Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Fayette
- Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Fayette
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Fayette
- Biology & Life Sciences Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in La Fayette