Job Description Summary
The Office of the Provost is seeking an Acculturation Instructor to provide support to the Auburn Global academic team. The position reports directly to the Academic Director of Auburn Global. The Auburn Global Program combines English language instruction and support with academic instruction and acculturation to ensure student success & matriculation into Auburn University. The Acculturation Instructor is responsible for teaching acculturation courses of all accelerator programs, designed to familiarize international students with American University life and to prepare them to successfully navigate for the rigors of academic study. To that end, the candidate for this position will apply skills in student support services and strategies. Experience in delivering high-quality co-curricular and extracurricular support experiences for program students as well as hands on academic support, guidance, and mentoring is desirable. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, and university administration.
The Acculturation Instructor is expected to drive academic protocols and implementation of academic policies and to track key performance indicators for student cohorts at large under the direction of academic leadership. In addition, the Acculturation Instructor works with other Auburn University staff in coordination of academic support services and transitions to the university. Lastly, the Acculturation Instructor provides support to the academic team in the areas of record keeping, scheduling, and teaching.
• Teach all acculturation courses in the international accelerator programs.
• Develop relevant & appropriate lesson plans that provide effective teaching strategies and meet the individual needs of students.
• Assess students and provide both formative & summative evaluations to a high standard.
• Provide out-of-class academic support for students.
• Participate in the social program where this is an integral part of the teaching/learning program (e.g. accompanying trips & attending events).
• Guide, prepare & motivate students to a successful undergraduate or graduate experience and degree completion.
• Deliver exceptional student services, beginning with pre-arrival processes, airport transfers, orientation programming, ongoing student services support, & student acculturation into the university.
• Advise and provide mentorship, training, and coaching to support student skill development in areas including but not limited to goal setting, strategic planning, cultural competency, problem solving, and interpersonal relationships.
• Develop and maintain cohort and student academic history an academic performance tracking mechanisms.
• Develop and present workshops on study skills, plagiarism, library resources, and other academic topics.
• Assist in the preparation and delivery of academic overview session at initial student orientation.
• Participate in committee meetings with stakeholders across the university, including faculty and staff. Other related duties as assigned.
• Courses taught may include the following: Glob 0100, 1010, 1020, 0810, 0820 Live, Learn, Grow) courses in the International Accelerator programs.
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Administration of Higher Education or closely related field at the time employment begins.
• A background in languages other than English is highly desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application review process begins April 15, 2021 and will continue until a qualified candidate is selected and recommended for appointment. A complete application must include a letter of interest, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names of three current, professional references. To apply visit:
The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment.
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Documentation