Executive Director, SEMSS Strategic Communications
University Code 13511 University Title Communications Officer 1 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search National Working Title Executive Director, SEMSS Strategic Communications Position Number 592000 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Executive & Senior Level Leadership Department Division of Strategic Enrollment Management Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
With dual reporting to the Vice President for Strategy, Enrollment Management and Student Success and the Vice President for University Relations, the Executive Director of Strategic Communications is a new role that develops and leads comprehensive strategic communications that bring to focus the functions and visions of the SEMSS Division by implementing and managing efforts to promote and represent our programs, services and initiatives to internal and external audiences. The position will serve as a partner to the SEMSS Student Communications Office in assisting with developing strategic marketing programs that will help SEMSS achieve key goals for student recruitment, engagement and retention.
The position is also responsible for executive communications support to ensure the visibility and consistency of key messages from SEMSS leadership to internal and external audiences. This shared role will work primarily within the SEMSS division and serve as the primary liaison between SEMSS and University Relations for communications, marketing and branding work.
• Serves as the SEMSS vice president’s primary communications and marketing officer by sharing SEMSS’ mission, vision, strategic initiatives and messages. This includes creating and managing internal communications tools — newsletters, blogs, magazines, social media, annual reports, etc. — to inform and engage key internal and external audiences.
• Manages correspondence and communications from the vice president including letters, emails, speeches, presentations and donor acknowledgments with a special emphasis placed on presentations made to the Board of Visitors, legislators and external entities. Coordinates, collects and prepares required materials and reports to the Board of Visitors and committees by working with the Offices of the President and Provost.
• Leads communications and marketing plans related to student recruitment, engagement and retention, in close partnership with SEMSS Student Communications and University Relations. This includes, but is not limited to, developing print and digital collateral, key audience messages, advertising, media relations, social media, SEO and more.
• Collaborates with the Director of SEMSS Student Communications who is responsible for the development and execution of prospective and current student communications to ensure consistent messaging and leveraging best practice communication approaches.
• Partners with University Relations to integrate SEMSS messages and goals into VCU institutional branding, reputational research, paid advertising and organic social media initiatives.
• Leads and grows the vice president’s social media presence across multiple platforms so that it is an active, engaging and trusted source of information and thought leadership.
• Works with University Relations to develop state and national opportunities to build SEMSS division and VCU institutional reputation for student success and access.
• Assists University Relations with SEMSS -related issues and crisis management including identifying potential internal issues that the university may need to address and participating in university responses to issues and crises.
• Serves as the primary campus media relations contact for questions about enrollment and student success.
• Works with communicators in academic units across the institution to build the university’s reputation. This includes generating story ideas, implementing programs and creating goal-specific teams to address important university-wide issues.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Business, or related field;
● Eight years of strategic communications experience;
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
● Experience utilizing innovative and engaging approaches to convey and present complex information;
● Experience creating complex, creative, and compelling presentations;
● Experience leveraging web and social media in targeted strategic communications campaigns;
● Ability to respond to deadlines and pressures of deadlines and challenging situations;
● Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
● Excellent professional judgement and ability to make decisions related to the management of issues and sensitive information; and
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
● Inclusive attitude;
● Self-driven initiative and intellectual curiosity;
● Data-driven approach; and
● Ability to influence others and work collaboratively across units to ensure outcomes are achieved.
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Strategic communications experience in higher education;
● Demonstrated success developing and implementing strategic communications plans;
● Experience with website content management systems.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience. Application Process/Additional Information
Applications submitted by April 18 will be given preferred consideration.
In addition, a portfolio or example of work will be required prior to round 1 interviews.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday 8-5 Job Open Date 03/19/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104318 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Communications Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Communications Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Public Relations & Advertising Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond