Financial Aid Advisor
Posting Number NC00146P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1794 Working Title Financial Aid Advisor Position Number Department Financial Aid Office About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Financial Aid Advisor works under general supervision and is responsible for assisting the general student population with the financial aid application completion, determining financial aid eligibility, and packaging student financial aid and scholarships in accordance with federal, state and institutional policies and procedures. The Financial Aid Advisor represents the University as a student advocate who is committed to helping students find educational success. The Financial Aid Advisor is a member of the Enrollment Management Division, works in the Financial Aid Office and reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
Summary of Job Duties
• Extensive counseling and advisement of students on matters related to Title IV financial aid programs, state financial aid programs, and university scholarship programs.
• Determine financial aid eligibility, review supporting documentation, and package Title IV financial aid awards according to federal regulations; perform federal verification of student aid application data in accordance with federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
• Monitor financial aid eligibility for students to prevent over awards of federal funds caused by external scholarships and third party payments; monitor student satisfactory academic progress requirements, review financial aid suspension appeals and render appeal decisions.
• Assist students with web-based financial aid application procedures and electronic student loan application procedures.
• Travel to area high schools and conduct presentations to educate students and families about the value of a college education and paying for college costs.
• Assist staff members from other student service offices in providing quality information necessary to student success.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications include a bachelor’s degree.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
One year of experience in financial aid and a higher education environment. Work experience in accounting, bookkeeping, and finance may be substituted for education and higher education requirements. Experience as a liaison with federal, state, county, and other agencies to provide data, interpret, and apply changes in rules and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and general public.
• Able to speak Spanish fluently a Plus.
• Ability to successfully function within a fast-paced, dynamic environment, in a variety of situations, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
• Understand FERPA and the highly confidential nature and scope of this position.
• Knowledge of SCT BANNER financial aid module and the skill to navigate within the BANNER system.
• Commitment to a high level of quality customer service.
• Professional demeanor.
• Some public speaking is required in this position.
• Exhibit a helpful caring attitude and be a source of encouragement for students pursuing an education beyond high school.
• Excellent oral and written communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
The Financial Aid Office is open to the public from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. on Friday. Extended hours occasionally required during peak periods.
Salary Low 30's, Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 03/19/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by March 29th, 2021.
Anticipated start date 04/19/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Financial Aid Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith