Data Systems Manager I, Bureau of Business and Economic Research
The Bureau for Business and Economic Research invites applications for a Data Systems Manager I. This position performs a wide variety of IT functions supporting BBER-FIRP’s work for the USDA Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis Timber Products Output (FIA-TPO) program. This position will move projects forward and independently identify problems and implement solutions, while working as part of a regional and national team. The person in this position will frequently coordinate activity with senior programmer/DBA, FIRP director, other FIRP staff, and other programmers/DBAs in the USDA Forest Service. The complexity of tasks varies from relatively simple programming, documentation and internal data requests from FIRP staff to complex multi-year programming and data management projects, systems design and management.
Specific duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Develop & maintain enterprise-level databases: Work with five to ten internal (to BBER) and external (USDA Forest Service) databases (dbs) of varying complexity, including multi-year research, survey and contact data. Tasks include working with the senior programmer/DBA to document current dbs; re-writing current dbs in ASP.net; cooperating with Forest Service programmers to integrate dbs and visualization tools; developing and maintaining website-db partnerships for various projects; and maintain, backup, and archive FIRP dbs. Requires solid understanding of relational database management system principles, experience working with big data, experience with Microsoft SQL (T-SQL) Management Studio or Oracle PL/SQL. Familiarity with USDA Forest Service, forestry and wood products information preferred.
- Program data systems and applications: Maintain and enhance data collection and entry software, and produce summary tables and custom queries within specified time-frames. Familiarity with T-SQL and Microsoft Excel required. Actively maintain existing applications, modernize code, develop a new data entry system, improve graphical interfaces, and develop additional reports. Current applications are based in Windows operating system, both web and stand-alone, using VB.NET, Classic ASP, ASP.NET, and JAVA languages. Incumbent must be familiar with SQL, T-SQL and/or PL/SQL, Visual Studio, and MS SQL Server. Duties include design, development, maintenance, and enhancement of computer applications including conversion and incorporation of complex mathematical models. An understanding of basic forestry concepts and field inventory procedures is helpful.
- Manage and maintain servers: The BBER has dedicated web, data, and file servers that require maintenance. This is not a 24/7 on-call position. However, the DBA/programmer should be available if a hardware or software catastrophe happens. Need to work with Senior Programmer and College of Business (COB) personnel to support servers.
- Perform other assigned duties: Must work with six to ten analysts at BBER and several others with the USDA Forest Service throughout the country on timber harvest and forest industry information teams, including but not limited to identifying and automating repetitive tasks within existing workflows using VBA, Python, Powershell, or other tools; preparing data for visualization tools; maintaining FIRP computers; troubleshooting network problems; and answering basic questions about Microsoft Office applications.
- Support : promptly responds to support requests and seeks additional resources when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of and experience programming in SQL, Visual Basic.NET, ASP.Net, Java, HTML, and CSS.
- Solid understanding of relational database concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate with non-technical staff
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalency) in computer science, information technology or a closely related field, in addition to three (3) years of closely related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Master’s degree in forestry, wood products, statistics or economics with extensive experience in programming or database design and use.
- Familiarity with GIS (ESRI products), spatial datasets and Python programming language.
About the Bureau of Business and Economic Research, UM , and Missoula
The Bureau of Business and Economic Research has been providing information and analysis on Montana’s state and local economies for more than 50 years. The Bureau is the research and public service branch of the School of Business Administration. On an ongoing basis, the Bureau analyzes local, state and national economies; provides annual income, employment and population forecasts; conducts extensive research on forest products, manufacturing, health care and child welfare; designs and conducts comprehensive survey research at its on-site call center; presents annual economic outlook seminars in cities throughout Montana; and publishes the award-winning Montana Business Quarterly magazine.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Data Systems Manager I
Position Number: New
Department: Bureau of Business and Economic Research
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Salary: $33.251/hr – Position is salaried and exempt from overtime. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS - MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program. If .
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, April 19, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
- Relevant IT Certifications
- Transcripts – to be submitted upon hire.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular