Advising Coordinator, College of Business
Posting Number NC00145P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1792 Working Title Advising Coordinator, College of Business Position Number Department College of Business - Dean's Office About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department
The College of Business is accredited by AACSB and offers a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree with concentrations in Core, Professional and Public Accounting, Business Economics, Consumer Marketing, Corporate Finance, Digital Marketing, Human Resource Management, International Management, Investments, Management, and Small Enterprise Management. Students may earn corresponding Certificates of Proficiency in most concentrations in order to demonstrate their skills and workplace competencies, and an online completion option is available.
Focused on transforming students into career-ready business professionals who add value to their workplace and communities, the College offers real-world leadership development. Embedded into the curriculum are research projects, internships, and a myriad of co-curricular opportunities including Beta Alpha Psi, Hembree Student Investment Fund, and First Bank Corporation Collegiate Ambassador Board. Through a partnership with the UAFS Babb Center for Student Professional Development, students can actualize their personal and professional potential through career exploration and readiness workshops as well as networking and mentoring with employers.
Responsible for establishing and implementing processes that ensure exemplary academic and career advising service in the College of Business as well as fostering a collaborative, student-centered climate which promotes student success. The position reports to the Dean in the College of Business.
Summary of Job Duties
• Assist students with major and course selection, while providing career development and academic advising direction.
• Review academic standing of students for possible intervention, support and referrals.
• Ensure consistent, accurate and timely processing of all documentation related to advising, graduation, etc.
• Work with faculty and staff across campus in developing and implementing processes that align to the special needs of various cohorts to improve student retention and graduation.
• Maintain a working knowledge of current career exploration and employment trends.
• Promote retention through innovative reporting, student communications and special projects.
• Assist with college recruitment and yield activities.
• Maintain student records and monitor College admission process.
• Support student engagement activities in the College.
• Provide customer service and promote the public image of the University to all students and the community in a friendly accurate manner.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Two years’ of professional, full-time experience in higher education.
Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree.
• Experience in academic advising and/or student services.
• Experience with with Banner/Navigate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge in working with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to work in a technological environment demonstrating proficiency in word processing, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and to gather and analyze information skillfully.
• Ability to maintain confidential information with absolute discretion in all matters. Ability to remain open to other ideas and try new things.
• Ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; professional group presentation skills; read and interpret written information.
• Ability to edit work for accuracy and thoroughness, and to monitor own work to ensure quality.
• Requires STRONG attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; and develop realistic action plans.
• Ability to adapt to changes in work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Ability to arrive at work on time consistently; follow instructions; respond to management direction; and solicit feedback to improve performance.
• Ability to disseminate educational and career information to groups and individuals.
• Ability to work in a quality-focused service environment with excellent organizational skills, customer service and in a professional manner.
• High level of organizational ability.
• Team oriented.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional travel and extended hours required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds. Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This is a 12-month position.
Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This is a 12-month position. Occasional travel and extended hours required.
Salary Mid to High 30's, Salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 03/19/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Anticipated start date 06/07/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith