DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR, SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR, SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Posting Number: SRGV4908
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Harlingen, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Psychiatry
Scope of Job:
The Department Administrator is responsible for planning and organizing the department's financial affairs, including business development, and for administering its clinical, educational and research programs. In collaboration with the chair of the department, the Department Administrator sets goals and objectives for the department and manages its relationship with the school, the university, affiliated hospitals and health systems, and other external entities.
Description of Duties:
• Manages the department’s finance and accounting practices as well as its financial relationships with the affiliated hospitals/other external groups.
• Manages revenue/expense reporting, monitors/reviews expenditures, generates reports, prepares financial forecasts, identifies and analyzes financial problems and recommends solutions.
• Analyzes, prepares and makes recommendations on business aspects of proposals for new clinical, research and teaching programs (including financial feasibility, financial projections, effects on facilities and equipment, staffing implications, impact on department administrative and management structure).
• Annually updates the department’s comprehensive, multi-year business plan in alignment with strategic and long-range department plans.
• Monitors, reports and explains budget variances; addresses variances and presents alternatives for achieving goals.
• Supports decision-making by providing information regarding trends in research, teaching, or clinical practice; performing feasibility studies, cost and revenue analyses and projections; determining impacts on staffing, space, facilities and administrative structure.
• Supports and monitors research-related financial activities to assure compliance with university and funding agency regulations; prepares reports as required.
• Provides oversight and administrative direction for all grant management activities and clinical research compliance in the department in coordination with the Office of Sponsored Projects
• Manages the pre-award, post-award and close-out processes of all sponsored projects; functions as a departmental resource for PI’s when preparing grants.
• Oversees compliance with all funding agencies and the IRB to assure that all required information is maintained and reported on a regular basis and identifies, analyzes and corrects any discrepancies.
• In partnership, manages the clinical operations of the department, including accounts payable and receivable.
• On a regular basis prepares and presents management reports that monitor all aspects of the department’s faculty practice, e.g. billing, collection, productivity that will enable the department to set improvement goals, minimize expenses and maximize revenue.
• Determines the appropriate organizational structure and mix of staff to maximize operations and minimize expenses.
• Facilitates fulfillment of staffing needs (eg, defines position and staffing requests); coordinates employment, orientation and termination activities.
• Ensures staff receive necessary training in order to optimize performance of essential job functions; recommends, arranges for and/or provides training, coaching and developmental activities.
• Provides guidance to the Chair as well as analyses, financial projections and other information to support recruitment and retention of faculty, including evaluation and assessment of need for faculty and program administrative and business support.
• Works with the Chair and applicable office regarding resources available or needed to support students and education programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The department administrator reports jointly to the department chair and also has a defined secondary reporting relationship to the SOM Finance and Administration office.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from an accredited university or bachelor’s degree in a related field.
MBA from an accredited university.
Five (5) years of directly related experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Experience obtained in Higher Education or Health Care Environment.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 03/01/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27758