Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Business/Entrepreneurship Department of the Business & Computer Systems Division is seeking an outstanding faculty member to: teach business courses with a focus on infusing technology and digital tools into the curriculum; develop curriculum; assess student learning; engage and advise students; and contribute to the growth of the business program. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to teaching excellence; an ability to incorporate innovative strategies; and skills to integrate technology into teaching. This faculty member will also engage in general college responsibilities within and outside the division. Applicants must be willing to teach day or evening courses face-to-face, hybrid, and online.
The teaching load is 15 credits per semester. In addition, faculty are expected to maintain at least five (5) office hours per week while class is in session and accept other responsibilities as described below:
- Teaching courses in business and entrepreneurship
- Preparing syllabi and Canvas sites
- Updating course materials
- Developing curriculum
- Delivery of instruction day or evening, face-to-face, hybrid and online
- Working collaboratively with faculty, course coordinators and staff to implement departmental programs
- Providing service to the department, division, and college
- Continual learning to stay current with best practices in teaching and technological applications in the classroom, including online teaching
- Advising students
- Student recruiting
- Program and Certificate development
- Developing and maintaining relationships with area businesses
- Cultivating internships and apprenticeships, which includes coordinating/aiding placement
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a master's degree in business or related field
- Evidence of outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with a diverse range of students (including those with special needs), faculty and staff
- Ability to work independently, flexibly, and as part of a team
- Prior work experience in higher education, business or entrepreneurship
- Significant work experience in a start-up or technology company
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience in higher education, business or entrepreneurship
- Minimum of one year full-time post-secondary level teaching experience
- Evidence of knowledge and practice of a variety of teaching delivery methods
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience with business analysis and decision making
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; Hours vary based on course schedule
Compensation: Starting salary ranging from $49,167 - $68,750, commensurate with experience plus excellent medical &dental insurances, sick leave, and tuition reimbursement
Grade: Full Time 10 month Faculty
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: April 15, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.
This position reports daily at our campus in Columbia, MD and does not offer relocation benefits. Candidates must live in the commutable area or relocate at their own expense.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy that describes your views about teaching and student learning and your use and application of digital tools and teaching technologies. (Max 1 page)
- Unofficial or official transcripts