Registered Nurse I
The Department of Medicine, Cardiology Section is looking for an entry level professional nurse who possesses a general knowledge of nursing practice in the ambulatory care setting. The individual will assist physicians with treatment room examination and procedures, schedule tests and appointments, answer patient calls, record and communicate information to referring physicians, and oversee the IRN clinic. This position may serve as a resource for Licensed Vocational Nurses and unlicensed staff members.
- Performs responsibilities in a manner that promotes quality and safe patient care and a positive patient experience.
- Adheres to the scope of practice as defined by the Texas Nurse Practice Act.
- Provides professional nursing assessment of patients.
- Assists with treatment room examination and procedures on patients.
- Schedules appointments, tests, and examinations with hospital and other doctor’s offices.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient’s electronic medical record.
- Instructs patients concerning the preparations needed for tests and surgical procedures.
- Communicates with other health care professionals regarding orders and care of patients.
- Executes physician orders and administers medications and treatments for patients.
- Promotes patient’s independence by involving patient in defining and establishing patient care goals; teaching and counseling patient, friends, and family and reinforcing their understanding of disease, medications, and self-care skills.
- Provides telephone triage to patients and ensure patients receive the right level of care.
- Precepts / orients new clinical staff.
- Delivers staff education, clinical in-services and/or participate in clinical staff meetings based on the needs of the department.
- Respects and supports patient rights and promotes positive family and patient relations.
- Prioritizes and organizes work so that assignments are completed in an efficient and timely manner.
- Identifies and supports cost containment and efficiency for patients and the clinic.
- Supports the clinic / departments compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Maintains a professional and cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information, responding to requests, and building rapport by participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Conducts Performance Improvement activities that support the clinic / department's goals for quality, patient experience, patient safety, and/or efficiency.
- Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Certification.
- Experience in ambulatory clinic setting and familiarity with Epic.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.