Adult Education Language Arts Specialist
Adult Education Language Arts Specialist
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education.
The Adult Education Language Arts Specialist provides instructional leadership and support by coordinating the development of Language Arts curricula and materials, by implementing professional development for Adult Educators both virtually and at all CCC Adult Education sites, and by providing coaching and mentoring to Adult Educators.
- Advocates for effective instructional strategies in ABE/ASE Language Arts.
- Attends ABE/ASE Language Arts instructional meetings.
- Assists in the monitoring and the implementation of the City Colleges of Chicago Adult Education curriculum frameworks.
- Participates in conducting staff development workshops to meet the need to adopt best practices for reading and writing instruction, as identified by research, including evidence based reading instruction.
- Assists administrators with teacher observations and “walk-throughs.”
- Models effective methods and techniques for teaching literacy through demonstrations.
- Provides ongoing support and individual coaching for teachers, as needed.
- Co-teaches lessons with teachers and debriefs with them later about instructional strengths and weaknesses.
- Provides teachers with suggested readings and information about recent theory, research, and practices in literacy instruction as determined by adult reading research.
- Works effectively and appropriately with the District Office staff, the colleges’ adult education staff and with other departments and entities in order to carry out mission and responsibilities.
- Communicates with teachers on a regular basis regarding instruction, training, materials, and any challenges with Language Arts instruction.
- Prepares letters, memoranda, reports, bulletins, handouts and other materials.
- Maintains highly organized coaching logs that document goals, strategies, visits, and comments.
- Assists in evaluation and selection of textbooks and other resource material.
- Assists the District & Campus Adult Education Administrators in implementing the instructional programs.
- Confers regularly with District Director of Adult Education or designee to coordinate District-wide efforts to promote and support best practices in Language Arts instruction.
- Assists classroom instructors with Interpreting assessment results and utilizing the information to plan instructional strategies.
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Reports To Assigned Administrator
Direct Supervision None
- Master’s degree in Education, English, or relevant field from an accredited college or university is required.
- A current Illinois Teacher Certificate with a reading endorsement (or equivalent experience) is required.
- A minimum of four years of successful adult education classroom teaching experience is required.
- Experience as a school or district language arts reading specialist preferred.
- Experience in instructional planning.
- Demonstrated communication (written, verbal and electronic), teaming, organization, problem solving, prioritizing and computer application skills.
- Has obtained or in the process of obtaining the Illinois Community College Board ABE/ASE Language Arts Standards Proficient Instructor Credential.
- Works well with others.
- Exhibits a positive attitude and energy.
- Willing and able to travel frequently and maintain an Illinois driver license with a clean driving record.
- Experience in teaching, coaching, collaborating, and promoting a culture of high expectations.
- Must have demonstrated success with teaching and coaching in similar environments and be committed to implementing instructional strategies which emphasize high-quality teacher training, innovation, collegiality, structure, and shared responsibilities for the purpose of ensuring that all adult learners meet federal and state academic standards. Must be a strong planner and facilitator of adult learning communities, with knowledge and skills in the area of classroom observations and feedback. In addition, must have proficient working knowledge of the National Reporting System (NRS) for Adult Education and the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) Adult Education accountability measures; familiarity with the resources of the Illinois Professional Development Network (ILPDN) is desirable.
- Experience working with learning management systems and online/blended course design standards, such as Quality Matters, is preferred.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- English & Literature Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- English as a Second Language Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago