About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine and among the best regional universities in the north by U.S. News and World Report, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
- The laboratory of Dr. Axen at Salve Regina University is seeking to hire a postdoctoral researcher to participate in a collaborative effort funded by a National Science Foundation EPSCoR RII Track-2 FEC (Award # 1826689) grant shared by the University of Vermont, Providence College, University of Kentucky and Salve Regina University on a project titled From Genome to Phenome in a Stressful World: Epigenetic regulatory mechanisms mediating thermal plasticity in Drosophila.
- The overarching scope of this project is to investigate epigenetic mechanisms associated with phenotypic plasticity in response to thermal stress using Drosophila as a model system. The specific aim of the Axen lab is to investigate the importance and role of evolutionary background on thermal plasticity in wild-caught populations of Drosophila species. Experiments include manipulations of rearing tempratures, evaluation of physiological and behavioral response, and evaluation of gene expression via qPCR and transcriptome data. The postdoctoral researcher will conduct experiments examining the thermal physiology of Drosophila, focusing on developing and applying methods to measure genetic, organismal, population and phylogenetic level experiments and analyses.
- This person will work closely with faculty to carry out experiments, communicate findings, plan outreach events, as well as to provide technical assistance, undergraduate research mentoring, and foster collaboration with other labs engaged in this cross-institution grant-funded project. Development of independent projects is encouraged.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set up Drosophila cultures and prepare lines for experimentation
- Set up and run behavioral and physiological analyses
- Extract DNA, RNA, perform PCR and qPCR with precision
- Conduct field collecting trips across various states across the US covering elevational gradients, the postdoc must be able to drive and to be able to learn Drosophila field collection techniques.
- Statistical analysis of data
- Write scientific papers associated with the research.
- Travel to meetings to present results (such as is possible with Covid)
- Be an active member in research group activities (e.g., participate in lab meetings, mentor students).
Successful candidates must have at the time of appointment an earned doctorate in a relevant field. Applicants must also have experience in at least two of the following areas: basic knowledge of laboratory techniques related to behavior, genetics and/or gene expression, and physiology. An interested in field work, preferably with experience in field techniques related to collection of live insects is highly preferred. Candidates must show an ability to work with and mentor undergraduate students, and in interest in doing so, possesses excellent written and communication skills, and the ability to be observant, self-motivated, think critically and problem-solve. Candidates must be within five years from receipt of their doctoral degree, with evidence for the ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams. Finally, candidates must show excellent communication skills.
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate would have experience with multiple practical aspects of the project duties, including fly husbandry or other lab-based insect systems, genetic and RNA based procedures, behavioral and physiological assays, be capable of being self-directed with excellent time-management skills, able to execute field work within various locations in the United States, with a strong record of scholarly achievement.
Exposure to chemical and biological hazards requiring use of personal protective equipment.
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty positions by providing a cover-letter, resume contact information for 2 references and a brief description of prior research experience. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport