Assistant Vice President/Controller - Business and Finance Office
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Assistant Vice President/Controller position in the Business and Finance Office.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
This position is responsible for overseeing the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions and the financial services area including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Asset Management, Procurement, Auxiliary Services, and Payroll. Responsibilities include implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that university assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies and GAAP. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of fund accounting principles and applicable governmental accounting standards. Develops and administers accounting policies and procedures to maintain the fiscal integrity of the University. Provides leadership and assumes the responsibility for all fiscal period close processes. Also, this position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of activities including, financial reporting, year-end closing and audit activities and will have contact with senior-level administrators, the University's Internal Auditor, and external agencies which require strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Establish and monitor internal controls for areas of responsibility. This includes documentation of all key processes, regular review of the documentation for updates and monitoring to ensure that staff is performing the documented processes.
- Independently prepare accurate annual financial reporting, which includes, but is not limited to: Annual Financial Report (AFR), Budgetary Compliance Report (BCR), Annual Expenditure Report (AER), Public Private Venture (PPV), and additional annual, quarterly, and monthly reports.
- Coordinate with Student Financial Aid to ensure FISAP amounts agree with amounts reported in the financial statements.
- Collaborate with Institutional Research to prepare the IPEDS report and oversee preparation of the SEFA report.
- Serve as liaison between FVSU and external FVSU Foundation accountants to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of annual component financial statements.
- Responsible for staff of 4 direct reports including Bursar, Director of Accounting Services, Director of Procurement, and Payroll Director and 12 indirect reports.
- Supervise audit coordination and document preparation for state, BOR, and internal audits; ensure responses to auditor questions and additional requests are provided in a timely manner; coordinate and review annual State Internal Control Questionnaire; review and approve Auditor checklist and Trial Balance books for Fiscal Year-End ensuring schedules agree with amounts reported in the financial statements.
- Conduct staff meetings, ensure proper communication among directors and staff members; participate on University committees; work with Board of Regents (BOR) on system committees; meet with Deans and other Executive management.
- Review capital lease documents and financial proformas related to Public Private Venture (PPV) agreements; interface with executive management on capital projects.
- Compliance with State and Board of Regents (BOR) policies and implement FVSU policies and procedures that align with state and BOR policies and procedures.
- Research proper accounting treatment per Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) to ensure appropriate treatment and implementation of new GASB standards.
- Overall responsibility for General Ledger which includes review and analysis of all ledgers (Actuals, GAAP, and Capital) to ensure accuracy in financial reporting including compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Overall responsibility for Auxiliary Services including budgeting, financial reporting, 5-year business plans and ensuring contract terms and conditions are met for outsourced auxiliaries.
- Overall responsibility for operation of the Bursar's Office which includes daily cash receipting, student accounts, collections, and all receivables for the University; work with other departments such as Registrar and Financial Aid on common issues regarding policy or procedure.
- Responsible for overall Procurement process and policy including P-Card; review and approve policy changes and compliance with state policy; ensure timely completion of Purchase Orders and agreement to General Ledger; interface with Executive Management on Procurement issues.
- Preparation and review of monthly surplus/deficit projections and monitor lapsable funds to ensure funds are exhausted before year end.
- Maintain and update cash flow projections; optimize interest income through allowable investment and provide updates to the Vice President for Business and Finance on timing of any projected cash shortages.
- Meet all reporting deadlines, submit all external reporting, including those for the BOR and Department of Audits and Accounts, to the Vice President for Business and Finance for review at least one week prior to the reporting deadline.
- Review and ensure the accuracy of general ledger reconciliations that have been prepared timely and in accordance with USG policies.
- Assist with preparing the USG annual budget hearing documents and appendices.
- Prepare annual NCAA and EADA reporting for the university's athletic programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible accounting experience with at least four (4) of those years including supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of automated accounting and reporting system and proficiency with Microsoft Excel, word processing software, query/report writing and data maintenance.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting methods and procedures and financial practices.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with little supervision.
- Master's Degree in Accounting or Business related field.
- CPA license.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Accounting System, Banner (Accounts Receivable system), and ADP.
- Experience in higher education setting.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and BOR policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Application packet must include a letter of application that addresses the applicant's interest, relevant experience and qualifications of the position; a curriculum vita; names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five professional references. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant); Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application. All materials must be uploaded on the HR website at https://fvsu.applicantpro.com/jobs/
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.