Linux System Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Enterprise Platform Group
BASIC FUNCTION: Administers, maintains, troubleshoots, and upgrades linux servers. Plans and executes deployment of enterprise systems. Monitors and maintains security of server based systems. Aids in the overall management of directory services. Trains and provides technical advice to other ITS staff members, and University Staff as needed.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent. Certification in RHEL 7.0 or greater. BA/BS or equivalent related experience desired.
EXPERIENCE: 4 years of technical field experience with at least 2 years of system administration experience. Willingness and ability to research and support new hardware and software is a necessity. Must have a strong background in Linux OpenShift, and Satellite Server Management, experience with Identity Management, Directory Services, Data Backup, Data Center Cloud Transition Strategies. Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and have a customer-service orientation toward internal staff and campus users. Must have in-depth knowledge of at least four or more of the following core competencies:
- Azure Cloud Services
- AWS Cloud Services
- Redhat Satellite
- Redhat Openshift
- Jenkins Automation Server
- RHEL Linux 7.x and higher
- VMware vSphere
- Apache Server
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED: Must demonstrate an advanced knowledge of linux server software; must possess strong troubleshooting skills; needs excellent communication skills; must be a motivated self-starter, especially in the area of learning new hardware and technology; must possess an excellent customer service orientation toward internal staff and campus users and have knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Some heavy lifting may be required.
REPORTS TO: Director, Infrastructure Services
To administer several enterprise systems. This involves:
- Controlling access levels or delegating access control to power
- Creating and enforcing user polices.
- Managing upgrades and updates
- Monitoring system health and usage
- Identifying opportunities for process and policy improvement to
increase performance and functionality
- Documenting relevant work tasks for distribution to peers and
- Addressing break/fix issues
To determine hardware and software needs. This involves:
- Determining specifications and ordering new hardware and
- Ability to evaluate commercial and open source solutions
- Identifying opportunities to repurpose or recycle
- Making recommendations on enterprise architecture and
- Helping specify and order enterprise hardware
- Ability to embark upon major enterprise system changes or
To work directly with faculty and staff on enterprise projects.
- Work directly with departments on Web Hosting Issues
To provide technical advice to ITS support staff.
To participate in the growth and development of the department. This involves:
- Attending departmental staff meetings as requested
- Communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
departmental and university matters
- Promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the
university community and consistent with the department’s
To promote safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment and
- Reporting immediately to supervisor any unsafe working
To perform other related duties as dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
ITS - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to email@example.com
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Technology Administration/Other Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Chief Technology & Information Officers Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield