Academic Success Advisor (66432BR) - W. P. Carey School of Business at ASU
Job DescriptionThis position is based at ASU’s Tempe campus. Due to COVID-19, most advising staff (as of this posting date) are working remotely. When safe to do so, staff will return to working on campus. Training for this position may occur remotely.
The W. P. Carey School of Business Undergraduate Programs Office is currently seeking a service-oriented individual to join our advising team at the Tempe campus. This position advises undergraduate students with a focus on student success, retention and making timely progress toward degree completion. Strong technical, administrative, and organizational skills are needed along with the desire to help students succeed. Academic Success Advisors have a “Business is Personal” perspective, along with strong written and verbal communication skills. They are a part of a team that jumps in and is willing to help out when and wherever it is necessary; this includes teaching a first-year student success course, assisting with New Student Experience and Course Planning Sessions, and attending W. P. Carey convocation.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; M-F; some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Serves as a professional academic advisor for the W. P. Carey School of Business, primarily advising undergraduate students in their 2nd year and beyond at ASU, as well as incoming transfer students
- Works with students both one-on-one and in group/class settings, interacting in-person, phone, Zoom, email and/or other technology
- Proactively monitors student academic progress through a variety of reporting tools including eAdvisor, Salesforce, PeopleSoft and DARs. In addition to these tools, phone outreach will be used to relay academic options, course selection and registration
- Responds promptly to student questions and concerns, working with them in their degree progression and completion. This includes current, prospective (high school and transfer), and students in transition (incoming or outgoing)
- Assists student with interpreting University, college and program level academic policies and procedures
- Works closely with students to identify all academic options including, but not limited to: degrees, extracurricular activities, study abroad program(s), research, and internships; supporting and providing counsel to students in selection of options best suited to students' goals, interests and skills
- Works closely and collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff to ensure academic success
- Assists students and parents in crisis; making appropriate and timely referrals for non-academic issues and/or concerns to applicable services including, but not limited to: Student Health, Counseling & Consultation, and Career Services
- Participates in and present at workshops related to academic advisement and skill development
- Actively participates in and attend events such as New Student Experience and Convocation
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; M-F; some evenings and weekends as needed.
Bachelor’s degree AND one (1) year or more previous experience in one or more of the following: advising, student recruitment/retention or related student services utilizing a proactive and innovative approach which results in demonstrated outcomes in retention, graduation, and academic planning; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Master’s degree preferred
- Experience working with students in higher education/college level academic advising
- Evidence in being collaborative, positive outlook; flexibility
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in work that requires problem solving skills; critical thinking; time management skills; and having to rapidly adapt and effectively utilize new technology, practices and policies
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with peers, faculty, students, administration and others
- Organizational experience while prioritizing multiple tasks in a fast-paced and service-focused environment; detail-oriented
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU academic structure and organization
- Experience using: Student information computer system (i.e., PeopleSoft, DARS, etc.)
- Experience using: Microsoft Office Applications (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Experience using: CRM (i.e. Salesforce)
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- W. P. Carey staff embody a “how can I help you?” mentality and are embedded in a “Business is Personal” culture
- Ability to operate independently within a larger, collaborative team environment
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions. Use office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, and mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals
- Ability to problem-solve and assess students' individual needs to provide accurate, detailed information regarding academic planning, retention, scholarship renewal and degree completion
- Ability to rapidly learn, adapt and effectively utilize new technology, practices, policies and methods.
- Cognitive ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, to develop advisement materials in various formats (electronic, hard-copy, etc.), and to coordinate and present information to current and prospective students
- Cognitive ability to provide complex evaluations/assessments of students/programs, including interpretation of policies, procedures, and requirements of various degree/certification programs within the school
- Travel - While based on the Tempe campus, individual must be willing to travel to multiple campus locations in the Phoenix metropolitan area (campus shuttle available)
- Work extended hours, including evening and/or weekends, as needed
The W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University is one of the largest business schools in the United States with more than 15,000 students and 100,000 alumni worldwide. From our world-renowned faculty representing six continents to thousands of outstanding students who join us every year, the W. P. Carey School welcomes diversity and encourages global thinking. The W. P. Carey School is internationally recognized for its leadership in business education, groundbreaking research and innovation, and renowned faculty, making us one of the top-ranked business schools in the country. Learn more at wpcarey.asu.edu.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher
education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence,
entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American
University is a single, unified institution comprising four
differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social,
cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its
research is inspired by real world application blurring the
boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU
serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona,
the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and
cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and
more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Asu
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Asu
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Asu
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Asu
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Asu