Interim Director of the Eugene S. Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media at DePauw University
Interim Director of the Eugene
S. Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media
DePauw University is a leading, nationally-recognized liberal arts university dedicated to educating just over 1,700 highly talented, motivated, and diverse students from across the country and around the globe. Connected to the liberal arts college is one of the nation’s first Schools of Music. For more than 175 years, DePauw has created an atmosphere of intellectual challenge and social engagement that prepares students for lifelong success. Located in Greencastle, Indiana, about a 45-minute drive west of Indianapolis, DePauw is a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association. DePauw has an ongoing commitment to diversity and seeks to strengthen our institution through equitable and inclusive practices.
Since 1991, the Center for Contemporary Media has been a one-of-a-kind resource for college students seeking to gain experience in mass media. In April of 2000, the facility was renamed the Eugene S. Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media (Pulliam Center) in honor of a generous gift from the Pulliam Family, a prominent Indiana newspaper family. The Pulliam Center houses facilities for students and faculty to explore various methods of mass communication from a hands-on perspective. All students may be involved in any of the media organizations housed at the Pulliam Center and may use the facilities for personal or class projects.
Summary of Position
DePauw University seeks an interim, one-year, full-time Director of the Pulliam Center for the 2021-22 academic year to help the University continue to explore ways of integrating its liberal arts education with contemporary media by offering media literacy learning and experiential opportunities across multiple digital, interactive, modern and traditional platforms.
The Director Pulliam Center will be responsible for helping us
think about the future of one of the nation’s finest experiential
learning programs in media leadership and literacy within a liberal
arts setting. S/he will build and cultivate programming, skills
development, internships, student organizations, and alumni
mentoring and networking for a broad diversity of students from
multiple disciplines interested in complementing their studies with
media, journalism, and marketing skills, insights and
- Lead a collaborative process to develop a renewed vision of the Pulliam Center that will strive to give students the innovative tools to tell important multi-channel stories.
- Support an environment of discovery, entrepreneurship and innovation, and develop experiences, products and services for audiences on and off campus, embracing DePauw’s legacy media, with its unique traditions and history, as well as emerging media, audience development and content analytics.
- Partner with campus leaders to build a strategic plan for the Pulliam Center that is inclusive of students studying in a variety of majors and programs.
- Identify and cultivate partnerships within the industry among non-profits, foundations and private sectors.
- Provide support to the advisors of student-led media outlets to help students achieve cross-platform competencies in Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media and recommend strategies for helping these groups explore opportunities for media convergence.
- Establish strong relationships on campus with students, faculty and staff, and off-campus with media and industry thought-leaders.
- Coordinate projects with other Center directors including the Tenzer Center for Technology, the Prindle Institute for Ethics, the McDermond Center for Management and Entrepreneurship, the Justin and Darianne Christian Center for Diversity and Inclusion, and the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement.
- Collaborate with the Division of Development and Alumni Engagement, and senior alumni and board leaders to nurture external funding for additional resources that will contribute to innovation and impact.
- Collaborate with the director of the Media Fellows program, housed in the Pulliam Center, which provides highly motivated students extensive curricular and co-curricular opportunities.
Candidates may come from diverse academic and/or non-academic backgrounds, and may hold the PhD, other terminal degrees, or a M.A. degree with significant experience in journalism, media and/or marketing. With approval of the appropriate department, candidates who hold a graduate degree will also be considered for a part-time faculty appointment and will have the opportunity to teach up to one course per semester if interested. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated understanding of the value of liberal arts in journalism, media and marketing.
- Demonstrated understanding of journalists, marketers, story-tellers, and media consumers.
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Demonstrated support and commitment to serving historically under-represented communities in higher education (first-generation, women, domestic students of color).
- Ability to navigate an academic environment and develop cooperation from diverse stakeholders; ability to negotiate the complexities of organizational change.
- Experience creating strategic and operational plans.
- Eagerness to engage with students and work closely with them to support their academic and professional development.
- Public presentation and communication skills that can generate enthusiasm in others.
Applications should be submitted through Interfolio (https://apply.interfolio.com/85214) and include: cover letter highlighting how the candidate is prepared to meet the multi-faceted requirements of the position, resume or CV and contact information for three references.
In application materials, candidates should demonstrate a commitment to fostering and engaging with a diversity of ideas and experiences, in order to promote an inclusive environment at the Pulliam Center and at the University. Review of applications will begin April 5, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions may be directed to Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. Dave Berque, at email@example.com.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Greencastle
- Communications Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Greencastle
- Broadcasting Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Greencastle
- Digital Media Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Greencastle
- Film & Video Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Greencastle