Lab Manager #605296
The Laboratory Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the Laboratory and the competency of all personnel. Supervises and coordinates activities of Laboratory staff engaged in performing serological, microbiological, bacteriological, biochemical and hematological tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. This position reports to the Medical Director.
- Supervises the activities of the Laboratory employees.
- Performs daily work of staff supervised such as:
- Clinical laboratory tests
- Accessioning and billing of charges
- Record keeping
- Maintains inventory for the Laboratory, orders supplies and materials from vendors.
- Assists with assignment of the reference laboratory contract.
- Maintains, adjusts, troubleshoots and makes minor repairs to laboratory instruments and equipment
- Ensures compliance through constant Quality Assurance checks in Laboratory
- Troubleshoots problems and questions.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining procedure lists and fee schedules in electronic medical record for Laboratory procedures, tests, and exams
- Attends continuing education and reviews professional literature to keep current knowledge.
- Participates in meetings and committees.
- Assumes the responsibilities and is delegated authority of a moderate complexity laboratory as outlined by CLIA/COLA. Some of these duties are as follows:
- Overall operation and administration of the laboratory.
- Hire competent testing personnel.
- Instruct new personnel regarding procedures, equipment and policies.
- Employ sufficient number and appropriately educated personnel who have demonstrated performance skills.
- Specify, in writing, the responsibilities and duties of each individual employed by the laboratory.
- Perform competency evaluations of personnel.
- Assure compliance with CLIA/COLA regulations.
- Be accessible by phone, electronic consultation or on site.
- Ensure quality testing systems.
- Provide a safe and adequate working environment.
- Ensure quality test methodologies including verification procedures.
- Develop and/or modify existing procedures and policies for the operation of the laboratory.
- Develop and implement quality assessment systems for testing and ensures continued compliance with licensing requirements.
- Ensure laboratory is enrolled in a Proficiency Testing Program and performed correctly.
- Ensure Quality Assurance/Quality Control programs, reportable ranges and remedial actions.
- Ensures timely reporting of test results to clinical staff and that reports contain proper information for interpretation.
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed.
- Review all patient testing.
- Must be accessible to the laboratory to provide onsite, telephone, or electronic consultation as needed.
- Selects test methodologies appropriate for the clinical use of the test menu.
- Verifies test procedures performed and establishes the laboratory’s performance criteria, including accuracy and precision of each test and test system.
- Enrolls the laboratory in an approved PT program commensurate with services offered.
- Establishes a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed.
- Establishes the acceptable levels of analytic performance, and ensures these levels are maintained throughout the testing process.
- Resolves technical problems and ensures remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Ensures patient test results are not reported until all corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
- Identifies training needs and ensures testing personnel receive regular in-service training.
The duties mentioned in this job profile are not the only tasks to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The incumbent is expected to perform other duties necessary for the effective operation of the department.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Medical Technology or a related science and four years of experience as a Medical Technologist which includes two years of supervisory experience in non-waived testing preferred equivalent number of years experience.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.