Instructor of the Practice in Biotechnology / Program Coordinator
The Department of Biological Sciences at Dixie State University (DSU) in St. George, UT invites applications for a full-time Instructor of the Practice & Program Coordinator faculty position in Biotechnology. This position will begin in Fall Semester 2021 and will support a soon-to-be developed biotechnology program at DSU. Candidates should possess a M.S. in an appropriate biology or microbiology field and will teach lower-division lectures and labs in general biology and microbiology, with the potential to develop stand-alone lab-based courses in their area of expertise.
This position is 70% instruction (21 credits hours per academic year) and 30% coordination (9 credit hours per academic year) of a soon-to-be developed biotechnology program at DSU. The coordinator portion of the job will serve as point-of-contact for the program, oversee recruitment and collaboration with local school districts and Dixie Technical College, form and maintain relationships with industry partners, oversee internships, and manage program reporting. As this position will oversee student progression within the program, a candidate with experience in advisement is highly desirable.
The Biological Sciences department will be housed in the newly constructed Science, Engineering & Technology (SET) building. The new building contains state-of-the-art lab and lecture space. More information about the department and its associated programs and faculty can be found online at https://biology.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach 21 credits of lower-division lecture and laboratory courses each academic year, as assigned by and coordinated with the department chair.
- Develop new courses, particularly stand-alone lab-based courses that foster job-ready skills.
- Coordinate the biotechnology program at DSU, including:
- Oversee recruitment and retention of students within the program.
- Serve as point-of-contact for the program, answering inquiries from prospective and current students, marketing the program, etc.
- Form and maintain partnerships with industry.
- Oversee student internships within the biotechnology program.
- Liaison with Washington County School District and Dixie Technical College.
- Prepare and submit reports on the biotechnology program.
- Perform defined faculty duties, including holding office hours, conducting student assessment, attendance at department and division meetings, working with other faculty in program management, and adherence to college, division, and university policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- M.S. in Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, or closely related discipline from an accredited college or university required.
- Evidence of potential for successful teaching at the university level.
- Evidence of strong connection to industry partners.
- Experience with student advisement and career development preferred.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- An eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience for our students.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) faculty position. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $47,000 - $50,000, depending upon qualifications & experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included - see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins April 19, 2021 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George