Associate Vice President for Finance
Posting Number F0854P Working Title Associate Vice President for Finance Department Central HR HR Search Group About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( https://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 75 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,000 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
Finance & Administration
Finance & Administration (F&A) exists to provide exceptional service and stewardship of the University of Georgia’s financial, human and physical resources. Over 3,000 individuals comprise F&A’s mission-driven team, focused on building and sustaining partnerships to help the University fulfill its teaching, research, service and student life missions. As a key provider of essential fiscal and operational support to the University, F&A’s multiple units and dedicated professionals strive to be an excellent resource for answers, advice and assistance. Focusing on exceptional service and stewardship, F&A contributes to the ultimate success and achievements of students, faculty, staff and the entire University community. For more information please see https://fanda.uga.edu/.
The Finance Division serves a valuable role in maintaining the structure supporting financial transactions and acts as the custodians of financial data for the University. The Finance division serves a wide-range of constituents with university services such as student accounts, mail and receiving, property control, payroll, budgeting, Bulldog Print and Design, accounts receivable, travel, sponsored projects accounting, treasury services, general accounting, purchasing, and accounts payable. This range of responsibilities underscores a significant emphasis on customer service excellence, reliable end user training, business process improvement, reliable analytics, and administrative systems proficiency. The Finance Division’s commitment to professional, responsive and innovative service aligns with UGA’s 2025 Strategic Plan. The Finance Division fulfills 4 major roles at UGA : 1) to work with all units to execute financial transactions; 2) to provide the infrastructure, compliance, and security for business process, financial transactions and reporting; 3) to be a resource to all units regarding best practices; and 4) to operate in a state of continual quality improvement with respect to efficiency and technological innovation.
College/Unit/Department website https://busfin.uga.edu/ Posting Type External Retirement Plan Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Advertised Salary Commensurate with Experience Anticipated Start Date 09/01/2021 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 03/16/2021 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by Thursday, May 13, 2021; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
To request a descriptive Opportunity Profile for this position, provide a nomination, or seek additional information, please contact Sean Ryder, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, 706-542-6240 or Sean.Ryder@uga.edu. Letters of recommendation or a simple nomination should include the name and contact information for the nominee.
Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Classification Title Assoc/Asst Vice President FLSA Faculty Rank Administrative Faculty Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Minimum Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field.
• 5-10 years of progressive higher education experience in finance areas or public accounting experience.
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance & Administration, the Associate Vice President ( AVP ) position is responsible for directing and leading the Finance Division team, which is broadly responsible for the operations and administrative systems supporting institutional business processes. The University seeks candidates who are innovative and accomplished leaders in their field forward-thinking professionals with a demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity in all forms dedicated to furthering an accessible and inclusive campus environment and have a strong commitment to excellence and high-quality customer service.The AVP provides leadership and oversight to departments, teams and individual staff carrying out the university business functions, including but not limited to: financial reporting and processes, university financial statements, budgeting information, payroll, accounting, commitment control, coordinating and overseeing annual external audits, treasury, student account services, accounts receivable, delivery services for mail and supplies, procurement, accounts payable and travel, Bulldog Print and Design, sponsored projects accounting, and asset management.
Additional Requirements Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification
• Master’s degree in Accounting or a related field.
• Relevant certifications, such as a CPA, CFA, and/or CMA .
• 10+ years of progressive higher education experience in finance areas or public accounting experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
• Working knowledge of PeopleSoft or equivalent ERP system(s), familiarity of systems such as Banner and Hyperion, and experience utilizing data available in these financial software systems to make informed decisions.
• Strong knowledge of GASB, GAAP, and federal regulations and guidelines.
• Demonstrated knowledge of laws, regulations and policies relating to fiscal compliance.
• Superior understanding of financial and budget management in an institution of higher education of similar size and complexity.
• Ability to work strategically and foster a collaborative atmosphere across the University.
• A demonstrated record of supporting and driving initiatives to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Ability to effectively communicate with university administrators, faculty, staff, government and private agencies.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Strong, interpersonal, organizational, team building and leadership skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? No Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? No Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) Yes Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
• Providing leadership and oversight to departments, teams and individual staff carrying out the university business functions, including but not limited to: financial reporting and processes, university financial statements, budgeting information, payroll, accounting, commitment control, coordinating and overseeing annual external audits, treasury, student account services, accounts receivable, delivery services for mail and supplies, procurement, accounts payable and travel, Bulldog Print and Design, sponsored projects accounting, and asset management.
• Building on existing foundations to increase and improve the following:
o Administrative systems and automation supporting university finance and business functions;
o Data analytics and decision-making;
o Services to faculty, staff and others carrying out the instruction, research, and public service missions of the institution;
o Communications, service and training opportunities;
o Institutional partnerships to achieve more effective business processes and higher-levels of administrative efficiencies and best practices for the Finance Division and the entire university community.
• Serving as a key member of the Vice President for Finance and Administration’s senior staff and representing the Vice President on various university and University System of Georgia ( USG ) committees and other collaborative efforts.
• Collaborating with the Department of Audits and Accounts ( DOAA ), other external auditors, and the USG in the development of the annual financial statement and associated audits.
• Developing and monitoring internal controls.
• Identifying and assessing opportunities for innovation.
Percentage Of Time 100 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Other Documents #1