Director of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion 999610
Xavier University seeks a Director for the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. As a Jesuit Catholic University, Xavier University strives to develop students of learning and reflection, integrity and achievement, in solidarity for and with others. In a world that is increasingly diverse, complex, and interdependent, the University’s mission is to develop graduates who pursue and contribute to the common good. Through their work, the Director of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) will lead efforts to graduate students who have explored and can articulate their own identities, are prepared to engage difference, and who are prepared to lead in an increasingly interconnected and complex world. Building community, empowering students, equipping faculty and staff, and driving collaboration, the CDI Director fosters an inclusive living and learning community characterized by equal student satisfaction, persistence and success across all student populations.
The Director reports directly to the Vice President for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion but also works closely with the Associate Provost for Student Affairs. The individual oversees the Center for Diversity and Inclusion in the Gallagher Student Center and supervises four professional staff members, administrative assistant and student works. In addition, the Center’s budget and resource allocation is managed by this individual who also collaborates with other entities (e.g., Grant Services) to pursue various support for students of color, women and LGBTQ students.
The Director’s main areas of responsibility are:
- Leadership of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, including strategic planning.
- Working collaboratively with the Associate Provost for Student Affairs to develop and align student socialization, learning experiences, and support services to enhance the persistence and success of underrepresented and marginalized students.
- Advising and advocating for marginalized and underrepresented students (e.g., students of color, first-generation students, LGBTQ students, and women students) to ensure student success and satisfaction outcomes.
- Developing relationships with key faculty and staff stakeholders on campus to leverage opportunities to collaborate, while sharing current research and best practices with the campus community to inform identity and inclusion initiatives.
- Facilitation of intergroup dialogue, community building and collaboration amongst student constituencies and lead first-year socialization efforts for underrepresented student populations.
- Partnering with University leaders to deepen and maintain an inclusive living and learning environment.
Desired qualifications/knowledge, skills, and abilities are:
- Appreciation of and commitment to Xavier’s Jesuit Catholic mission and the synergies between diversity and inclusion efforts and that mission.
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution, although a terminal degree or doctorate is preferred.
- Experience designing, implementing, or assessing diversity programs for college students.
- Demonstrated success as a collaborator and relationship builder, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build coalitions to achieve results.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and agility and ability to build trust, credibility and navigate a complex landscape.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to articulate the importance of inclusion and diversity to the mission of Xavier University.
- Strong management skills and the ability to lead and develop a team.
We are strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. Candidates who have worked with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students and who can contribute to our mission of inclusivity are encouraged to identify their experiences and interests. Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xavier offers a comprehensive benefits package. Details of benefit offerings can be found on the Office of Human Resources website: https://www.xavier.edu/hr/benefits/index.
To ensure consideration qualified/interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references on Xavier University’s website by March 31, 2021.
The preferred start date for the position is July 1, 2021.