Assistant Content Producer
Assistant Content Producer
About Champlain College:
Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, private, not-for-profit college in Burlington, Vermont overlooking Lake Champlain and the Adirondack mountains, with additional campuses in Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland. Its career-driven approach to higher education prepares students for professional life from their very first semester. For the fifth year in a row, Champlain was named a "Most Innovative School" in the North by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" 2020 regional rankings and listed among The Princeton Review's "The Best 385 Colleges" in 2020. Champlain is also featured in the 2021 Fiske Guide to Colleges as one of the "best and most interesting schools" in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain and is recognized as a 2020 College of Distinction for its "Engagement, Teaching, Community, and Outcomes." The College offers 30 undergraduate degrees as well as online undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs.
Champlain's Centers of Experience provide students from across all majors with experiential learning environments that guide them in how to take their classroom knowledge and put it to the test in practical applications allowing them to gain real-world experience firsthand. Each Center connects Champlain to the local community and the world, turning theory into practice. The Centers entrust students with responsibility, engage them in ambitious goals and empower them to lead with creativity, confidence, insight, and integrity. At the helms of the Centers are cutting-edge industry professionals who share the goal of providing the most relevant, career-focused education, enriched with hands-on learning opportunities.
Champlain College is looking for a highly motivated team player who knows what it takes to tell a good story and has the capacity to tell it, sell it, and build it in various media using a number of systems across multiple communication channels.
If you are an energetic, digitally-savvy content producer, who can do it all and is eager to learn more, we would like to speak with you. The person in this position needs to be a versatile writer (quick snappy headlines, as well as full newsletter story writing, emails, ads, whole web sections, etc.) who is also adept at using complex content and scheduling systems and has some basic design aptitude (love making GIFs?), proven technical know-how and be super organized about managing content assets and schedules. The position is Assistant Content Producer and is part of the Web Services team reporting to the Director of Web Services.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a passion for creating content for web pages, emails, digital signage, and blog posts that capture attention, look sharp, read smart and get the job done. You're adept at building each piece within the appropriate content management system and report the success of each using marketing analytic tools.
- Has a creative spirit, love of technical aspects, and can-do attitude are imperative to success in this position.
- Can deliver content that is more than just words on a page and includes intelligent use of photos, vectors, video, infographics (you know, the fun stuff) in a cohesive, appealing "package."
- Is highly interested in working in a higher ed environment and cares deeply about the integrity, accuracy and intelligence of the work.
- Hates missing a deadline (and seldom does).
- Enjoys the challenge of updating existing content to make it more effective, a better user experience, and more engaging.
- Is consistently looking to improve his/her/their work and skills, pushes boundaries, and never stops being interested in upping the game on the next piece.
- Enjoys collaboration and playing nicely with others, including designers, writers, developers, and client services folk. (We're talking naturally superior interpersonal communication skills.)
- Loves the details and the important nitty-gritty of producing content, but does not get lost in it. The ability to keep an eye on the bigger picture while happily attending to dozens of details is essential.
- Can think on their feet and finds most things interesting enough to create share-worthy content. Is willing to take initiative and follow through to deliver projects.
- Has a true talent for solving problems, improving systems, putting forth ideas that advance the mission of the marketing department and the College.
- Takes pride in the work, the team, and his/her/their own professional maturity and development.
- Has a good sense of humor and can roll with a fast-paced environment that may feature changing priorities--which means he/she/they can enthusiastically crank out quality content on the fly as well as within a highly structured workflow process. That means you can write copy worth reading, edit (for voice, style, and grammar), resource appropriate photos (and crop/manipulate them), leverage video, and upload all the assets to various content management systems. Then, you have the skills to produce a layout that ensures that the final communication pieces are audience- and user-friendly and work hard to meet their objectives.
- BFA, BS, or BA degree in marketing/advertising/communications or equivalent experience. Some design training highly desirable.
- Two years professional experience in producing marketing content for multiple channels (ideally marketing/advertising experience in in-house or agency environment).
- Proven ability to write/edit quality copy for digital and print communications.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Basic design sensibility and skills/experience (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator).
- Experience working in a Content Management System and the proven technical know-how to adapt to new systems.
- Knowledge of marketing/advertising industry best practices, including content delivery standards and usability.
- Strong analytical, prioritization, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong editorial instincts.
- Some familiarity/experience with analytic tools and reporting.
- Some familiarity/experience with SEO best practices.
- Knowledge of email best practices a plus.
- Working knowledge of HTML and content publishing tools; XML, and CSS a plus.
- Proven attention to detail, active problem solving, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and diligently, while still being an active, vital, and contributing member of the larger team.
The successful completion of a criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
Application materials must include a resume/CV and a letter of interest (Cover Letter) specifically addressing the desired qualifications.
Champlain College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, religion, age, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, veteran or military service status, HIV -positive status, qualified disability, or on the basis of any other status protected by law, and does not discriminate in the administration of its education and admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, employment practices or co-curricular and other College-administered programs. Champlain College will make reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified students, applicants for admission or employment, or employees. Please contact the People Center at 802.651.5800 with questions concerning the hiring process or future employment at Champlain College, or if auxiliary aids or services are needed to apply for employment at Champlain College.
Champlain College is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse community. Recognizing that diversity is both a reflection of our world and a source of rich education, Champlain strives to be diverse and inclusive in ways that reflect the world in which we live and work. All members of the Champlain community are valued as individuals.
The College seeks candidates who, through their work and life experiences, service to the community, teaching or research can contribute to the diversity, inclusivity and academic excellence of Champlain College. Please include information about how you would contribute to these efforts and help to further this goal in your letter of interest/cover letter.
In order to be considered for the position, you must upload a resume and coverletter.
EU Employee Data Protection Notice:
For more information and to apply, please go to