The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia invite applications and nominations for the position of President of Georgia State University.
Founded in 1913, Georgia State has a mission of excellence in teaching, research and service. Located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, this leading urban research university has an enrollment of more than 53,000 students across six campuses throughout the metro Atlanta area and is the largest university in Georgia. Georgia State has over $200 million in annual research expenditures which ranks 1st in the nation for universities without an engineering, medical, or agricultural school. As an R1: Doctoral University – Very High Research Activity, Georgia State is one of four research universities in the University System of Georgia.
Georgia State’s mission as a research university in an urban setting is multi-faceted, devoted to excellence in undergraduate education, graduate and professional education, and faculty scholarship of the highest order. The University has one of the most diverse undergraduate student populations in the United States, is a majority-minority institution, and attracts outstanding young scholars and professional students to its many programs. Due to a campus wide commitment to student success, equity gaps at Georgia State University have been eliminated. Over the past six years, African – American, Hispanic, and Pell-eligible students, on average, all graduated from Georgia State at or above the rate of the student body overall. In the heart of movements for social change and justice, Georgia State can create not just change for itself, but build the initiatives and programs that can assert Georgia State as a national leader in diversity, equity and inclusion in our society. The University’s colleges boast distinguished faculty across disciplines, who work closely with the university administration to guide the strategic future of the University.
The University has grown dramatically over the last decade, extending its urban mission as well as its breadth in basic research and education. Under the leadership of President Mark Becker, the University launched a number of key initiatives and consistently ranks in the top 3 of the Most Innovative Schools as reported by U.S. News and World Report.
The University’s NCAA Division I athletics program is a member of the Sun Belt Conference. In 2008, after gauging student body and alumni interest, the University added football to their impressive list of sports programs which includes Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Baseball, Beach Volleyball, Women’s Cross country, Men’s and Women’s Golf, Men’s and Women’s Soccer, Men’s and Women’s Tennis, Softball, Women’s Track and Field, and Women’s Volleyball.
The Next President of Georgia State
The Board of Regents and Chancellor seek a president who will continue to build on the initiatives underway at Georgia State, in the areas of strategic planning, research infrastructure, student success, athletics, facilities, student housing, alumni relations, development and collaboration with its surrounding neighborhoods and the city of Atlanta. In addition, the new president will bring his or her unique vision and ideas to Georgia State, in order to move the University ahead boldly to an even higher level of academic excellence and achievement.
The President will lead all Georgia State stakeholders in defining a vision for the institution, and shall carry out effective planning to meet key goals. Thus, we seek a leader who can shape and articulate the purposeful, engaging, and dynamic mission of Georgia State in the twenty-first century. In order to lead effectively, the President will have a broad and open academic perspective, and shall have achieved the highest level of scholarly distinction in his or her national discipline.
Even as Georgia State moves forward as a growing and maturing public research university, diversity and multiculturalism remain at the heart of its mission. The President will have the ability and the commitment to expand upon the progress Georgia State has already made toward building a highly diverse student body, faculty, and staff. The President also will have the opportunity to further advance internationalization through continued infusion of international perspectives into all aspects of the university, matching and enhancing the global stature of the City of Atlanta.
The President will bring to Georgia State a collaborative and confident leadership style, based on extensive past experience in higher education administration at national research universities. He or she must also pursue an intensive focus on institutional accountability, efficiency, fiscal responsibility, and the ethical and effective performance of all leaders and divisions within the University. Given the size and ambitions of Georgia State, the President must have documented experience managing the particular risks associated with large research universities. Given the reality of the global society, the President should have the ability and commitment to advance international higher education at Georgia State University to prepare its students to compete and succeed anywhere in the world.
New resources will be essential to the growth of the University, and the President will have an extensive background in development and alumni affairs, with a proven ability to work with donors, foundations, and corporate partners. In addition, the President will have strong experience working with lawmakers and public officials, given the mission of Georgia State to serve both the state and the nation.
The University System of Georgia
Georgia State is part of the University System of Georgia, which is composed of 26 degree-granting institutions of higher learning. The University System enjoys a strong reputation nationally for the effectiveness of its governance structure and Board, and also for its leadership in addressing state economic, workforce, and educational challenges. All system institutions, including its four research universities – Georgia State, Georgia Tech, the University of Georgia and Augusta University – are active partners in the Georgia Research Alliance and in similar economic development partnerships with Georgia’s major corporations and governmental agencies.
Preferred Qualifications and Experiences
- An earned doctorate or terminal degree in related field;
- Executive leadership experience demonstrating the ability to lead a large, complex academic institution with multiple campuses;
- A commitment to deep engagement with the community and lasting community impact in the city of Atlanta, region, and the State of Georgia
- Vision, integrity, leadership skills and experience to engage the entire campus community in maintaining the highest standards of quality and academic excellence in an atmosphere of collegiality and consensus building;
- Fiscal acumen with demonstrated success in navigating amongst the shifting financial landscapes;
- Record of leadership in promoting equity, enhancing diversity in all its forms, and creating a cohesive, collaborative and inclusive culture;
- A proven track record and continued commitment to increasing student success outcomes;
- A commitment to the student-centered mission of the University and an understanding of undergraduate, graduate, and professional student interests;
- Vision to foster growth of the academic enterprise, expand research opportunities, ensure quality and competitiveness, as well as its contribution to service to the communities in which Georgia State serves;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a full range of external constituents, such as alumni, donors, members of the community, media, legislators, other government officials and leaders in the private and nonprofit sectors;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with elected officials, governmental bodies, and the Board of Regents;
- Successful track record in fund-raising and developing external and community relationships;
- A commitment to and understanding of the value of a strong Division I intercollegiate athletic program.
The next President of Georgia State will be chosen by the Chancellor in consultation with the Board of Regents.
The Board of Regents invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, complete CV, and references) or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the Board. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to April 30, 2021 to:
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: 770-804-1996 x 109
The University System of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.