Baltimore City Community College is searching for an
Instructor/Assistant Professor in Microbiology. This position will
be responsible for teaching microbiology and other classes as
assigned by the Dean of Business, Science, Technology, Engineering
and Math (BSTEM). The selected candidate will teach 15 credit hours
per semester which includes any combination of classroom and
laboratory sessions. Responsibilities include maintaining scheduled
office hours; developing and revising curriculum; training faculty
in new curriculum as needed; developing and implementing course and
program assessment of student learning outcomes; participating in
college, division, and department meetings; serving on committees;
and other duties as assigned. Teaching assignments could be any
combination of face to face (day or evening), hybrid or online,
HyFlex and are subject to change as needed. All candidates
interviewed will be required to provide a teaching
Overview of position: Summary of position’s
- Contributes to the overall achievement of the college’s mission
and goals through effective instruction and classroom
- Plans and prepares for assigned instructional courses.
- Demonstrate knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Develops instructional outcomes and appropriate evaluation
methods that align with course and program outcomes.
- Maintain data to support the student learning and outcome
- Creates and maintain an environment of rapport and
- Clearly establish expectations for learning and
- Maintain up-to-date accurate records on attendance and student
- Make referrals to college resources available to provide
services or assistance to students.
- Provide guidance to students for academic planning.
- Engages in the college community for intra-professional
networking and professional development.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of expertise basing
current instructional practice on recent evidence.
- Communicate learning expectations.
- Varies teaching techniques and incorporate current
- Provide students with written and oral feedback.
- Engages in self-assessment of teaching practices and
professional development needs.
- Keep all classes and office hours for the required amount of
time set forth by the college and maintain good classroom
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Microbiology or related field.
- Three years of experience teaching in a college setting.
- Familiarity with Canvas or another learning management system
- Ph.D. Degree in Microbiology or related field.
- Five years of teaching in a college setting, preferably
community college experience.
- Experience with teaching dual enrollment students.