Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-2217.
Payroll & Compliance
The Payroll Manager is an integral part of Furman University's Finance and Administration Division and is responsible for all aspects of the University's payroll function. The Payroll Manager supports the University's mission by ensuring payroll for all University employee pay groups is processed accurately, timely and in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations.
Maintains ownership of the payroll process for three pay groups: Monthly, Bi-weekly Staff and Bi-weekly Student
- Processes pay calculations for current and retro periods using Workday
- Performs audits of pay results for missing payment and tax elections and works independently to research and resolve any discrepancies
- Audits payroll/employee data as entered in Workday by Human Resources and department supervisors and researches and resolves audit flags for current and prior periods
- Coordinates with Human Resources and Student Employment to confirm that all business processes are complete and to resolve any discrepancies
- Prints and distributes checks
- Monitors employee accruals and timesheets for accuracy and uses independent judgement to research and resolve any discrepancies
- Sets up, monitors and prepares monthly payments for payroll withholding items such as garnishments, child support orders, contributions to charitable organizations
Oversees work of the University's third-party payroll reporting provider (currently OneSource Virtual (“OSV”))
- Reconciles payroll deposits made by OSV to the general ledger
- Reconciles quarterly download reports to general ledger
- Reviews quarterly reports and requests amended reports when necessary
- Oversees and facilitates OSV case management, W-2 preparation, multi-state withholding, and other payroll reporting processes, including reviewing and reconciling various reports and balances
Informs campus of significant payroll updates, deadlines and anticipated distribution dates
Serves as primary point of contact for employees with payroll questions or concerns and works independently to resolve such items
Works with Human Resources to interpret policy changes and implement changes to payroll and time system
Works closely with department supervisors across campus to research and resolve discrepancies in timesheets and other payroll inputs
Prepares and maintains training materials for employees and supervisors on timesheet procedures, mobile app usage, and understanding their earnings statements in coordination with Human Resources
Provides support to other functions in Finance and Administration through analysis of payroll data and assists with special projects and ad hoc reporting as needed
Supports the annual financial statement and benefit plan audits by providing requested documentation for payroll selections and answering auditors' payroll related questions
Performs payroll related testing of upgrades for the Workday Financial system in coordination with Human Resources and Student Employment
Manages University's compliance with Federal and State tax requirements as it relates to the payroll function, including researching specific payroll tax issues as needed
Makes monthly Federal and State withholding deposits for 1099 income tax withholding; prepares and files quarterly and annual Form 945 and SC Forms 1605 and 1606
Prepares and files Forms 1042-S for international employees and students
- Communicates regularly with the Director, Center for Inclusive Communities to obtain Foreign National Form Packets for foreign students
- Secures copies of essential documentation such as passports and VISAs from students and employees
- Calculates reportable earnings and scholarship information
- Makes quarterly estimated 1042-S withholding deposits
- Submits forms to appropriate government agency timely
Serves as financial point of contact for the University's 403(b) retirement plans
- Prepares retirement reconciliation and contribution remittance for each Monthly and Bi-weekly staff pay period
- Coordinates with Human Resources to research and resolve any discrepancies
- Supports the annual 403(b) audits by preparing contribution remittance schedules, a reconciliation between census data and compensation per payroll system, and other information as needed
Prepares reconciliations of payroll tax withholding accounts and other fringe benefit liability accounts (retirement, insurance, garnishments, United Way, flex spending, etc)
Supports the annual financial statement audit through reconciliation of benefit accounts and fiscal year end payroll accruals
Attends meetings, seminars, conferences, and/or related trainings to stay abreast current trends, advancements, laws, regulations related to payroll, benefits, and related areas (taxation, withholdings, deductions, earnings, etc)
Stays current on all certifications and/or designations (if applicable)
Completes annual performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and department and University goals
Cross trains with and provides backup for other employees in the department as needed
Performs other duties as assigned; the intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position and employee may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description
- Daily contact with members of own work unit and immediate supervisor to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information and make suggestions related to mutual goals
- Frequent contact with Human Resources, Study Away and International Education, Academic Affairs, Student Employment, ITS, and other departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information and suggestions
- Regular contact with outside organizations to exchange factual information and explanations of rules, regulations, practices or functions
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
- This role maintains a high degree of confidentiality with respect to payroll related information
- Responsible for own work product and may assist or instruct others doing similar work including student workers
- Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps and involves choosing the appropriate action or procedure to follow and applying established rules
- Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck and work involves independently researching and resolving any such errors, often through communication with other departments and affected employees.
- Reviews work to ensure compliance with procedures and deadlines.
- Tasks involve interpretation of data and/or procedures to address problems or situations that may not be clearly defined. Work may involve non-routine/diverse work not defined by procedures.
Reports to: Assistant Controller
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting, or related field
- 5 years' experience of work experience in payroll
- Ability to effectively communicate payroll processes, procedures and results with colleagues across campus, including those without a financial background
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and handle multiple tasks while meeting critical deadlines
- Ability to use independent judgment in planning and controlling non-routine activities
- High level of integrity with ability to maintain confidentiality and accept responsibility
- High level of accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Experience within a university environment
- Experience with Workday Finance
- Advanced skills working with Excel spreadsheets using various functions and formulas
- Work is performed under usual office conditions with long periods of working at a desk and in front of a computer screen
- Work involves deadlines, interruptions and handling multiple tasks
- This is a full-time, FLSA exempt position with a normal work schedule of 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday; contingent upon activities or payroll needs and technological supports, occasional evenings and weekend hours may be expected
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Payroll-Manager_R001114
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.