Dean, School of Naturopathic Medicine (#21-013)
Bastyr University, located in Kenmore, Washington, is a progressive internationally recognized pioneer in Natural Health Arts and Sciences education and research. Founded in 1978 as a single-purpose college for naturopathic medicine, the University today offers graduate and undergraduate degree programs that reflect multidisciplinary, science-based natural health curricula with an emphasis on the integration of mind, body, spirit, and nature. The Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) has regionally accredited Bastyr University since 1989. Bastyr University is composed of three schools, the School of Naturopathic Medicine, The School of Natural Health Arts and Sciences and the School of Traditional World Medicines. Bastyr University California is a branch campus located in San Diego California.
The flagship program is the Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine (ND) offered by the School of Naturopathic Medicine (SNM). It is designed to train primary care naturopathic physicians to transform the health and well-being of the human community. The naturopathic program at Bastyr has been continually accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medicine (CNME) since 1987.
University Vision: As the world’s leading academic center for advancing and integrating knowledge in the natural health arts and sciences, Bastyr University will transform the health and well-being of the human community.
University Mission: We educate future leaders in the natural health arts and sciences. Respecting the healing power of nature and recognizing that body, mind, and spirit are intrinsically inseparable, we model an integrated approach to education, research, and clinical service.
Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) Academic Commitment: Bastyr University believes that inclusive diversity is essential for achieving academic excellence and creating a profoundly enriching university experience. Our faculty and staff are committed to achieving our mission by educating students to be future leaders that bring the natural health arts and sciences to people from all backgrounds. Promoting an educational environment that allows students, faculty and staff to develop their talents while experiencing a sense of community, we expect campus members to engage in respectful communication, behaviors and thoughtful self-reflection, increase their understanding of cultures and empower people who are disenfranchised, marginalized or oppressed. In so doing, the University pledges to prepare our students (and support faculty and staff) to recognize and appropriately respond to health inequities that affect multiple communities. This involves infusing DEI knowledge, skills, and practices in all academic programs, clinical training and patient services. In all, Bastyr University is dedicated to the welfare of our students and patients as well as to promoting equal opportunity and access in education and health care.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
The School of Naturopathic Medicine has three programs, the Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine, a Bachelors in Herbal Sciences and a Certificate in Holistic Landscape Design. The naturopathic medicine program at Bastyr has been continually accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME) since 1987. It is designed to train primary care naturopathic physicians to transform the health and well-being of the human community. The program is residential and is offered in Kenmore, Washington, Seattle Washington and San Diego, California. Clinical training is offered at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health in Seattle, Washington, and the Bastyr University Clinic in San Diego, California. In addition there are multiple external training sites in San Diego and the Seattle areas, providing medical care for underserved populations. The Dean has oversight for all three locations and is based on campus in Kenmore WA, but also maintains an office at the clinic in Seattle WA and is expected to travel regularly to the San Diego location.
The program’s vision and mission statements are consistent with the University’s vision and mission. Both share the goals of education, research, leadership and clinical services. The mission statement for the Naturopathic medicine program is: We educate naturopathic primary care physicians who care for the health and well-being of their communities, through education, research, leadership, and clinical services. Respecting the naturopathic principles, we integrate science, nature and spirit.
The Dean is responsible for the vision and strategic leadership of all aspects of the School of Naturopathic Medicine (SNM) . The dean sets the tone for diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of the functioning of the school. Together with the administrative staff and faculty, the dean leads the fulfillment of the mission. The dean is the face of naturopathic medicine both internally and externally, by advocating for the program within the university and doing outreach for naturopathic medicine in the wider community. As the academic leader of the SNM, the dean is responsible for the continual review and update of the academic curriculum, including content, instructional modalities, and student learning outcomes. This oversight includes an ongoing close working relationship with all related accreditation bodies as well as the university’s admissions and enrollment areas. The dean is an integral part of the academic administration of the university.
Oversight and administration of the academic programs.
- The dean supports the university mission, vision and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the program’s mission, vision and commitment to training health care providers that provide compassionate care to all communities.
- Oversight and administration of the academic programs in the school, including the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, the Bachelor in Herbal Sciences and the Certificate in Holistic Landscape design.
- Provides oversight and administrative direction to academic departments within the school and ensures adherence to accreditation standards and the development and consistent application of educational policies and procedures.
- Provides vision and oversight of program assessment.
- Establishes and maintains school-wide interdepartmental communication among faculty, students and staff.
- Collaborates effectively with deans of support programs to ensure quality in the curriculum.
- Chair the Deans and Department Chairs Committee and Program Assessment Committee. Chair or delegate a chair for the Student Progress Committee, SNM Curriculum Review Committee
- Oversees the compliance of programs to accrediting agencies, such as the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education and support the regional accreditation of the university with the Norwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Supports student success and responds to student concerns.
Supervision of Administrative Staff
- Supervises and provides mentorship to the associate deans, department chairs and administrative staff.
- In cooperation with the associate deans and department chairs, recruits, hires, supports and reviews highly qualified and trained faculty within the programs, providing guidance in the areas of personnel issues resolution, teaching skills and curriculum development.
- Supervisesthe Director of Postgraduate and Community education.
Participates in Academic Administration
- Participates in university and academic administration meetings regarding policies, budget, and strategic planning.
- Interacts with the Director of Postgraduate and Community education for support of the residency program.
- Interacts with the chief medical officers at both clinics in regard to clinical education and the quality of patient care.
- Co-chairs the University Governance Committee and the University Policy Committee.
- Full budgetary responsibility for one or more major department budgets – demonstrates financial acumen in preparing, managing, and balancing budgets; ensures fiscally responsible use of funds and transparent financial processes.
Represents the School of Naturopathic Medicine and Bastyr University externally
- Provide strong representation of naturopathic medicine to the public.
- Represents the School of Naturopathic Medicine at University functions and external events as requested and in support of the fundraising goals of the University.
Participates in special projects as assigned by the senior vice president and provost.
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine required.
- Requires five (5) years of experience as a practicing naturopathic doctor with five (5) or more years of teaching and academic administrative experience, including budget development and efficient use of resources.
- Experience in academic planning, curriculum and faculty development are to the advantage of the successful candidate.
- Must demonstrate strong representation of naturopathic medicine to the public, accrediting agencies and within the profession.
- Must be licensable in California or Washington state as a naturopathic physician.
- Understanding of the importance of diversity equity and inclusion in all aspects of the training of naturopathic doctors.
- Knowledge of the higher education system and accreditation.
- Knowledge of the pedagogy of clinical teaching and education including assessment.
- Must demonstrate management and leadership experience in graduate medical or allied health education.
- Must exhibit strong leadership and management skills; negotiating, problem solving, decision making, conflict management and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to motivate others. Ability to work with deadlines and pressure, delegate and set limits.
- Must work well with diverse student, faculty, and professional groups within and outside the University.
- Must have the ability to recruit, motivate and guide department chairs and faculty in pursuit of excellence in teaching, University service and professional development.
- Must be committed to the principles of shared governance, collaborative problem solving and collegial work style. Must display evidence of well-developed interpersonal and communication skills appropriate for a diverse constituency both within and outside the institution.
- The dean has full authority to run all aspects of the School of Naturopathic Medicine within the policies and procedures of the University and the general administrative and academic context established by the Provost.
Benefits: Comprehensive Benefit Package including Health, Dental & Vision, Holiday Pay, 403b plans, Section 125 plansPlease refer to job #21-013 and job title when applying and send cover letter and resume.
Bastyr University does not discriminate against any person in
matters of employment, application for employment, student or
applicant for admission, or participation in our programs or
benefits on the basis of the following protected classes: ancestry,
gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, race,
creed, color, religion (includes religious dress and grooming
practices), sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding
and/or related medical conditions), ethnic or national origin
(includes language use and possession of a driver’s license issued
to persons unable to prove their presence in the United States is
authorized under federal law), age (40 and above), disability
(mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), marital status,
genetic information, medical condition (genetic characteristics,
cancer or a record or history of cancer), veteran or military
status or any other protected category under applicable local,
state or federal law.
All applicants must prove authorization to work in the United States at the time of a position offer. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Any applicants requiring special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability during the application process should contact Human Resources at (425) 602-3087 (phone), (425) 602-3058 (fax) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for Dean, School of Naturopathic Medicine (#21-013)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly