Senior Assistant Director of Transfer Admission
Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
We are also committed to the well-being of our employees. Our terrific benefits package for benefits-eligible positions include, but are not limited to:
- Generous paid time-off programs and commitment to work-life balance
- Tuition free course benefits in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School for employees with additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children
- Top-notch well-being care available through Harvard Pilgrim Medical/Delta Dental and a Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and their family members with initial assessment, referrals and short-term counseling for personal and work challenges
- Discounted home and auto insurance
- Represent the University at college fairs, special programs, veteran’s programs and visits to community colleges. Travel/recruit approximately 10-12 weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Coordinate extensive transfer recruitment programs at regional and national community colleges, including virtual programming. Conduct on/off-campus and virtual interviews with students and families as requested. Demonstrated understanding of Suffolk University’s mission, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and how our urban location presents a unique opportunity for prospective students.
- Evaluate approximately 800-900 transfer applicants per year, including traditional and non-traditional courses. Issue credit evaluations, admission decisions, and recommendations for honors consideration or merit scholarship programs. Assist with second-reading applications, as well as train staff on transfer policies and procedures. Counsel applicants, their families, guidance counselors, and transfer advisors on admission policies and the financial aid process. Maintain the Transfer Credit Database. Complete extensive follow up on transfer prospects, applicants, and admitted students. Evaluate applicants to the Continuing and Professional Studies (CAPS) non-degree program, certificate applicants, as well as students applying for Re-Entry to the university.
- Plan and implement Transfer On-Spot Decision Days and transfer-specific events both on/off campus and virtual. Help set the strategy for application generation and yield of transfer students. Assist Managing Associate Director with reports on current trends in transfer admission and establishing strong relationships with community colleges. Participate in regional professional associations and chapters to build partnerships, including PTK. Lead the development of a strong transfer-specific communication plan involving email, print, social media, and texting. Candidate must be creative, strategic, and innovative in their approach to transfer enrollment.
- Assist the Associate Director of Enrollment Visitor Services by
coordinating and implementing applicant yield activities such as
Information Sessions, Suffolk Showcase, and area receptions in
select markets. Assist in coordinating admission activities for
newly accepted transfer students such as advising, orientation and
- Assist the Director of Admission and Associate Directors in the
onboarding, training, and mentorship of entry-level staff members,
and other duties as assigned.
- At least 3-5 years of demonstrated experience working in college transfer admission and recruitment
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
- Experience working with students and families from underrepresented populations
- Understanding and familiarity with transfer articulation agreements preferred.
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
- Strong time management, attention to detail, and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with technology including Word, Excel, CRM systems (preferably Slate), social media, Zoom, WebEx, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams etc.
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families, transfer advisors, and secondary school counselors.
- Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours with some evening and weekend work.
- Ability and comfort with traveling for recruitment in the fall and spring months, including yield events.
- Must have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver’s license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Managing Associate Director of Undergraduate Admission, this full-time position works as part of an admission team responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate transfer students to Suffolk University. The Senior Assistant Director of Transfer Admission will be involved in a range of virtual and on/off campus recruitment activities including community college visits, special events, counselor meetings and applicant interviews. They will predominantly be responsible for the recruitment and evaluation of transfer applicants, as well as issuing credit evaluations for admitted students. The candidate will play an integral role in planning and implementing strategic initiatives for transfer enrollment. This position also serves as an advocate for transfer students across campus.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Boston