CAMP Advising Specialist
University of Idaho
CAMP Advising Specialist
Division/College: President's Area
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $40,352 per year or higher depending on experience and education
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The CAMP Advising Specialist is a Temporary Classified appointment through June 2025, contingent upon federal funding. Under the direction of the College Assistance Migrant Program Director, the CAMP Advising Specialist will provide advising and academic support services primarily for students coming from a migrant/seasonal farmworking background. This position will focus on academic success, leadership training and community building for first year CAMP Scholars and follow-up and referral services to continuing CAMP Scholars from their sophomore through senior years of study.
The CAMP Advising Specialist will remain current on general education, academic program, and degree audit requirements, changes in academic policy, and software and technology related to delivering academic advising services and information. The CAMP Advising Specialist is expected to work closely with the staff in University Advising Services, Registrar's Office, Academic Support Programs, Career Services, Polya Mathematics Lab, Writing Center, Student Support Services, Counseling and Testing Center, and other departments to provide the support services needed for the retention and completion of the students' undergraduate degree. The position will complete other duties as assigned by the College Assistance Migrant Program Director.
General responsibilities include meeting weekly with CAMP Scholars; monitoring academic progress of current and former CAMP students throughout the year, documenting activities and services; assessing and providing academic tutoring opportunities for students; overseeing study table sessions; guiding and mentoring students in career exploration and coursework; advising/mentoring students on personal, financial, career, social, cultural, and academic related matters; facilitating workshops and cultural/social activities; and collaborating with a wide variety of university resources and personnel to provide students with comprehensive and culturally appropriate services.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English
• Demonstrated experience in:
- Working with students from a migrant/seasonal farm-working background.
- Working with students in a mentoring and/or advising role.
- Researching, interpreting, and applying university policies and procedures demonstrating considerable knowledge of academic issues and graduation requirements.
- Program management and balancing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Explaining policies and/or procedures to others.
- Editing and writing business correspondence using proper grammar and punctuation as demonstrated in application materials.
- Using computer software and applications for word processing, email, internet research and social media engagement.
- Working in an environment that requires maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Working with a team to accomplish shared goals.
• 1-2 years of experience organizing, coordinating and/or managing academic retention programs.
• Previous work experience with the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP).
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills with an ability to interface professionally with departments, staff, faculty and students.
• Experience in researching, interpreting, and applying university policies and procedures demonstrating considerable knowledge of academic issues and graduation requirements.
• Experience in office management and recordkeeping.
• Demonstrated experience in culturally responsive program development and implementation.
• Personal experience related to migrant or seasonal farmwork status.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Ability to: Work evening, occasional weekend hours and holidays.
Posting Number: SP002686P
Posting Date: 01/07/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Please submit application materials no later than February 26, 2021 to receive first consideration.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates may be required to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.