Instructor in American Sign
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) at ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY seeks applications for the position of Instructor in the area of American Sign Language. The successful candidate will be expected to teach lower and/or upper division American Sign Language courses at all levels (elementary through advanced level) in hybrid/in-person and online at both Tempe and Downtown Phoenix campuses, hold office hours and work closely with the program coordinator to prepare syllabi, lectures, class materials, and class assignments. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug.16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is four classes per academic semester. Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, the needs of the university, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses. Anticipated start date is August 2021.
The College values cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by viewing https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty. Arizona State University is a leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
- MA in American Sign Language pedagogy, Deaf Studies, applied linguistics, linguistics, or related field, by time of appointment.
- Three years’ experience in higher education teaching American Sign Language courses (elementary through advanced level) in-person, hybrid, asynchronously, and evidence of effective teaching.
- Native/near-native proficiency in both American Sign Language and English.
- Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate ASL language courses that complement the School’s existing program. For related information, please see: https://silc.asu.edu/degree-programs/american-sign-language .
- Demonstrated proficiency in online teaching and/or appropriate technologies in language instruction.
- Experience with ACTFL proficiency standards and proficiency-based approaches to teaching American Sign Language.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities.
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply electronically to: http://apply.interfolio.com/85138 submitting complete dossier which consist of the following:
- Cover letter outlining teaching philosophy, and how the applicant's experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (quantitative and sample of qualitative data from teaching evaluations).
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for 3 references.
Applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letter can be addressed to Pamela Howard, Search Committee Chair. Initial application deadline is April 26, 2021. If is not filled, applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until the search is closed.
Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Asu
- Education Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Asu
- Curriculum & Instruction Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Asu
- Humanities Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Asu
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Asu