Senior Director for Operations
The Senior Director for Operations serves as a key team member of the Office of the President. Reporting to the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Special Assistant to the President, the Senior Director provides oversight for office operations, including the front office as well as the Grove and supports administrative functions of the office. This position serves as the principle aide to the Special Assistant to the President and plays a critical role in providing overall tracking and steering of the office central administrative and operational matters.
The Senior Director provides oversight for the administrative functions of the Office of the President and serves as a central point of contact for customers interfacing with the Office of the President. In this capacity, the Senior Director is expected to inspire the highest quality of service and professionalism and liaison with diverse internal and external constituencies. The Senior Director provides oversight to office tracking of items with key deadlines and management responses, leads development of department procedure manual, and demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement and process redesign.
The Senior Director supports ongoing and ad hoc projects and initiatives, working collaboratively with other administrative offices. The Senior Director facilitates efficient and effective decision-making by gathering data, assembling appropriate stakeholders, and formulating recommendations. The Senior Director also prepare reports, briefings, presentations, responses on topics of strategic importance, and/or engaging others to do so. The Senior Director may assist with projects that are highly sensitive and confidential in nature.
The Senior Director develops and reviews items for the Vice President’s signature, verifying facts, presenting alternative options, and preparing responses. The Senior Director also coordinates the development and tracking of administrative reports, including the annual departmental strategic planning process, the administrative assessment process, the Emergency Action Plan, and the Continuity of Operations Plan.
The Senior Director oversees the Grove operations, including supervision of the staff of the Grove, coordinating requests for events at the Grove, managing Grove events (including planning events, reviewing the menu and guest list, handling invitations and responses, securing entertainment, and assisting with other details as needed), and partnering with the Office of Special Events for programs sponsored by Advancement. The Senior Director oversees the annual holiday card mailing, working collaboratively with the Director of Public Relations, Advancement, and University Relations. The Senior Director works with the facilities department to ensure the Grove and its grounds are cared for and maintained in accordance with the university and the Office of the President standards.
The Senior Director oversees events and functions hosted by the Office of the President, working collaboratively with university departments. The Senior Director represents the Office of the President in planning university programs (i.e., staff appreciation day, University Commencement, etc.).
• Advanced degree in business, public administration, or related field OR a combination of training, work experience, and a bachelor’s degree that equate to an advanced degree.
• Demonstrated experience with executive administration, fiscal administration, facilities management, event planning, people management (supervision), customer service management, and operational planning.
• Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and the ability to effectively interact and build trusted relationships with diverse internal and external constituencies.
• Demonstrated experience researching and preparing technically complex executive level documents, position papers, reports, proposals, and presentations on a variety of strategic topics
• Possess excellent interpersonal skills significant experience dealing with confidential and sensitive situations and information.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, effectively and diplomatically with diverse constituencies.
• Capacity to work on a wide variety of tasks simultaneously; and a record of sound judgment.
• Highly motivated and energetic, have the capability to work in a dynamic environment, balance competing demands, and be able to interact comfortably with people from many cultures and all walks of life.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, organizational, and problem solving skills, with ability to see patterns, be a fast thinker, and make decisions with strong attention to accuracy, detail, and local context.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality, strong personal ethics commitment, and demonstrated sound judgment.
• Must have strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills to manage complex tasks and/or those that require balancing competing interests.
• Demonstrated patience, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure as well as a strong personal ethics commitment.
• Demonstrated high proficiency with current office software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, and presentation applications.
• Experience in higher education.
• Demonstrated administrative responsibility in higher education or public sector.
• Broad understanding of higher education issues and operations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations applicable to a higher education environment.
• Working knowledge of university organizational structure, policies and procedures.
Commensurate with experience
April 9th 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jeff Cumberland at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 11, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Development & Advancement Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg