Cancer Cell Biologist Research Scientist
University Code 33244 University Title Senior Scientist 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Regional Working Title Cancer Cell Biologist Research Scientist Position Number 587820 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Pharmacology & Toxicology Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Highly motivated Senior Research Scientists are sought to join the laboratory of Dr. Sebti at the NCI designated Massey Cancer Center and the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology. The research focus of the laboratory is to understand at the basic science level how normal cells become malignant and to translate such fundamental knowledge to the clinic. Specifically, the candidates will be involved in exciting and highly integrated inter-disciplinary research projects concerning understanding aberrant oncogenic KRas signal transduction pathways in cancer and designing novel anti-cancer drugs based on this knowledge.
Examples of projects that the candidates will be performing and responsible for are:
1. Understanding the mechanism of KRAS addiction
2. Understanding how oncogenic K-Ras regulates the tumor suppressor p53.
3. Identifying kinases that are synthetically lethal with mutant K-Ras.
4. Identifying small molecules that bind K-Ras and inhibit its GTP activation, binding to its effectors and blocking oncogenesis.
5. Identifying cell surface proteins specifically expressed on human cancers that harbor mutant K-Ras.
6. Developing dual FTase and GGTase -1 inhibitors as novel anti-cancer drugs targeting human tumors that harbor mutant K-Ras.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Education: Highly talented individuals with PhD and extensive experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer cell biology, pharmacology, in vivo anti-tumor efficacy in animal models and/or drug discovery:
1. Research Scientists: Ph.D. and 3-6 years relevant experience
2. Senior Research Scientists: Ph.D. and 6+ years relevant experience
1. Hands-on experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and/or pharmacology
2. Experience with in vitro and in vivo assay development as it relates to drug discovery
3. Ability to design and perform experiments, to manage research projects, and to analyze and interpret data, to make conclusions and plan forward.
4. Ability to maintain detailed documentation through electronic and notebook means.
5. Excellent past productivity as documented by publications
6. Demonstrated creativity, high motivation, solid communication skills and experience in writing progress reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
7. Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated ability to work professionally and efficiently within the research group as a team player.
8. A good understanding of biology and a track record in working closely with experimentalists and clinicians is preferred.
Candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity or a commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information
We will be filling up to 2 positions with this posting
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 03/11/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104203 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Pharmacology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond