Senior Scientist 1
University Job Family
Research & Innovation
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Cancer Cell Biologist Research Scientist
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Pharmacology & Toxicology
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Highly motivated Senior Research Scientists are sought to join the
laboratory of Dr. Sebti at the NCI designated Massey Cancer Center
and the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology. The research
focus of the laboratory is to understand at the basic science level
how normal cells become malignant and to translate such fundamental
knowledge to the clinic. Specifically, the candidates will be
involved in exciting and highly integrated inter-disciplinary
research projects concerning understanding aberrant oncogenic KRas
signal transduction pathways in cancer and designing novel
anti-cancer drugs based on this knowledge.
Examples of projects that the candidates will be performing and
responsible for are:
1. Understanding the mechanism of KRAS addiction
2. Understanding how oncogenic K-Ras regulates the tumor suppressor
3. Identifying kinases that are synthetically lethal with mutant
4. Identifying small molecules that bind K-Ras and inhibit its GTP
activation, binding to its effectors and blocking
5. Identifying cell surface proteins specifically expressed on
human cancers that harbor mutant K-Ras.
6. Developing dual FTase and GGTase -1 inhibitors as novel
anti-cancer drugs targeting human tumors that harbor mutant
Minimum Hiring Standards
Education: Highly talented individuals with PhD and extensive
experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer cell
biology, pharmacology, in vivo anti-tumor efficacy in animal models
and/or drug discovery:
1. Research Scientists: Ph.D. and 3-6 years relevant
2. Senior Research Scientists: Ph.D. and 6+ years relevant
1. Hands-on experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry,
cell biology and/or pharmacology
2. Experience with in vitro and in vivo assay development as it
relates to drug discovery
3. Ability to design and perform experiments, to manage research
projects, and to analyze and interpret data, to make conclusions
and plan forward.
4. Ability to maintain detailed documentation through electronic
and notebook means.
5. Excellent past productivity as documented by publications
6. Demonstrated creativity, high motivation, solid communication
skills and experience in writing progress reports and manuscripts
for peer-reviewed publications.
7. Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated ability to
work professionally and efficiently within the research group as a
8. A good understanding of biology and a track record in working
closely with experimentalists and clinicians is preferred.
Candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity or a
commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
Commensurate with experience
Application Process/Additional Information
We will be filling up to 2 positions with this posting
Normal Work Days/Hours
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)