Scientific Software Engineer
University of Idaho
Scientific Software Engineer
Division/College: University Research (Div)
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $71,011.20 annually or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
This Scientific Software Engineer position will enable important scientific research by designing and developing cutting-edge science tools for web and mobile platforms. This position reports to the Research Applications Architect within the Northwest Knowledge Network (NKN) unit of the Institute for Bioinformatics & Evolutionary Studies (IBEST).
This position will use web and mobile technologies (both front-end and back-end) to make scientific data and computational models interoperable, accessible, visual, and interactive. This position will help integrate and maintain multiple research data management systems and scientific applications that support grant-funded research projects at the University of Idaho and beyond.
This technical position works closely and collaboratively with other research computing staff within IBEST plus a wide variety of outside partners - including scientists both inside and outside of the University of Idaho. This position will interface with collaborators from external state and federal agencies as well as the private sector and is responsible for guiding the development and adoption of strategic technical architecture to support research computing within IBEST and the broader University of Idaho research enterprise.
This position is responsible for participating in and overseeing the innovation, design, development, deployment, and maintenance of interactive research software systems, information/data management systems, and research applications at UI. These responsibilities include analyzing, recommending, developing, and deploying data-driven research applications. This position designs and troubleshoots backend databases, user interfaces, and application frameworks.
The Scientific Software Engineer will serve as second-layer technical support for research applications and will be responsible for developing and delivering training materials, maintaining documentation and a knowledge database, and providing high-level QA and QC in all web/mobile applications, databases, training materials, and documentation.
B.S. degree in computer science/engineering, data science, biology/bioinformatics, ecology, geology, environmental science or related field.
• 3 years of proven work experience in web/mobile application development, database administration
• Experience designing and developing complex relational databases and database-driven web/mobile applications
• Experience working in team-based software development environments using version control systems such as git/GitHub, Subversion, etc.
• Demonstrable experience working with content management systems and development frameworks such as Drupal, Joomla, Concrete5, or WordPress.
• Demonstrable experience with Python and/or PHP
• Experience with the Flask or Django web application frameworks
• Experience Using, parsing, and constructing JSON and/or XML
• Demonstrable experience working with online map services to display and visualize spatially explicit data
• Demonstrable experience working with web service APIs
• Experience working directly with diverse partners to design, document, test, deploy, configure, support, and troubleshoot research software applications to develop or resolve system and applications design needs.
• Experience understanding best practices and current trends in database design, data management, metadata, information technology, and web application development.
• Experience using the Linux operating system
• Experience in providing technical and project leadership
• Experience in thinking critically, acting independently, and exercising initiative; work collaboratively and contribute to the team effort to achieve goals; maintain productivity under a variety of circumstances
• Experience managing a variety of projects and workloads simultaneously and meet deadlines
• Experience communicating effectively with supervisors/collaborators in the design of web and marketing material
M.S. degree (or higher) in computer science/engineering, data science, biology/bioinformatics, ecology, geology, environmental science or related field or equivalent research experience in a scientific field and at least 5 years of proven work experience in web/mobile application development, database administration.
• Scientific Data management and analysis, especially with geospatial (GIS) data.
• Designing and implementing a REST Application Programming Interface (API)
Demonstrated working knowledge of:
• Configuring and implementing a database-driven content management system
• NoSQL database platforms (e.g. MongoDB)
• Machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Sci-kit Learn
• Mapping and visualization libraries such as D3, Plotly, Leaflet, Chart.js, Highcharts
• Communicating research to multiple audiences.
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and web-mapping applications/tools.
• Server systems administration including navigating the shell, using editors such as vim and Emacs, basic troubleshooting, managing resources, and controlling user access and permissions.
• Aesthetic and graphic design principles through providing a working portfolio of previous work.
• Data cataloging and metadata standards such as FGDC, ISO 19115-2, Dublin/Darwin Core, EML
Demonstrated ability to:
• Analyze data and software systems and interpret and communicate important technical data.
• Prioritize and problem solve, work independently, and be attentive to the details and deadlines of complex and multiple projects.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP002738P
Posting Date: 03/10/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
First consideration date of applications will be March 24, 2021.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.