University of Idaho
Division/College: College of Science
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $15.23 per hour or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
This position in the Fortunato lab will assist the PI with supervising the operation of the Virology Laboratory; perform and assist with research experiments conducted by the PI and other lab members as needed, including tissue culture infections, sample collection, preparation and analysis; general laboratory maintenance and organization, ordering supplies and monitoring laboratory budgets; assisting with manuscript preparation; and ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and University regulations and directives.
- High School Degree
- Following pre-established procedures or protocols
- Keeping complete and accurate records
- Using a computer to enter and retrieve data
- Working in a team environment
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field with appropriate coursework in molecular biology, cell biology, virology and/or neurobiology OR experience totaling at least 3 years in biological laboratory setting.
- Experience with research lab operations and organization
- Experience with histological techniques and fluorescent microscopy, including image analysis
- Experience with molecular biology and cell biology techniques
- Experience in tissue-culture driven experiments
- Experience working with a BSL2 human viral pathogens
- Experience with Mac operating systems and analysis software
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to execute and complete tasks in timely fashion
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment
- Demonstrated capability of organized and complete record keeping
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to work with toxic, volatile, corrosive chemicals and/or carcinogenic substances; work in adverse environmental conditions; carry and/or lift up to 75 pounds; periodically work long hours to facilitate ongoing efforts within the laboratory.
- Willingness to work with human pathogen utilizing BSL2 safety protocols.
Posting Number: SP002739P
Posting Date: 03/10/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
This position is open until filled with priority review date of March 24, 2021.
Please complete letter of qualification addressing how you meet each of the required qualifications and any of the preferred qualifications.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.