DEPARTMENT: Controller’s Department
BASIC FUNCTION: The Staff Accountant under the direction of the Accounting Manager will assist in the monthly closing process and analysis of the financial statements for the University. The position will prepare journal entries for the accounting of fixed assets, grants, student loans, study abroad activities and other assigned entries, prepare account reconciliations, balance sheet analysis and various special projects to support the financial function of the University. The Staff Accountant will assist with the preparation of the quarterly reporting package and related analysis, year-end financial statement audit, including preparation of footnote disclosures and other required audit and compliance requirements of the University.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Three to six years of well-rounded accounting and reporting experience, preferably in a university or non-profit setting, including:
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP Accounting (Non-Profit understanding
preferred, but not required)
- Strong computer skills utilizing excel and experience working
with a fully integrated enterprise resource system.
- Strong communication and exceptional reporting and analysis
- Assist in the review and timely preparation of monthly
financial reports to senior management.
- Oversee the fixed asset process and maintain the reconciliation
to the subledger.
- Support the maintenance and accuracy of the books and records
for the University and ensure adequate procedures are in place to
guarantee control over University assets.
- Document processes and procedures as part of internal control
and departmental training.
- Participate in the year-end audit and other required audits and
- Assist in compiling any required management reporting or
analysis, including accounting for University grants.
- Contribute to the maintenance and review of balance sheet
accounts to ensure accuracy of the reported balances.
- Work with stakeholders across campus to ensure financial
transactions are accurately transacted.
- Other responsibilities and special projects as needed.
Cross organization collaboration skills and team leadership:
- Experience working in a collaborative environment in which
results are achieved through partnerships and collaboration, rather
than direct authority. Able to work effectively with a broad range
of staff and administrators across campus.
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Able to present financial issues to a variety of audiences and
financial skill levels.
Technical accounting capabilities:
- Experience communicating impact of accounting changes to
management and others.
Participates in the professional development of the department. This involves:
- promoting efficiency and courtesy throughout the University
- participating in departmental/staff meetings as necessary
- communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
Performs other duties as related or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Finance - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield