Jr. Network Administrator
About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine and among the best regional universities in the north by U.S. News and World Report, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
The Jr. Network Administrator is primarily responsible for the administration and maintenance of all network systems (hardware and software) at Salve Regina University. In addition to supporting the existing network infrastructure and systems, the Jr. Network Administrator will take a supporting role in the implementation of all new network-based systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with identity management processes in Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Azure Active Directory, and Office 365, including account provisioning, group and mailbox creation, permissions and access assignments, and account cleanup and retirement.
- Assist with the support, maintenance, security, and patching of VMware ESXi/vSphere and Microsoft Windows server environments.
- Assist with the install, configure, and deploy virtual machines and physical servers and other associated data center equipment.
- Assist with the configuration, deployment, and maintenance of network printers, printer queues, and printer management services.
- Assist with configuration, management, provisioning, and maintenance of file servers, storage area networks, and direct attached storage. Ensure proper backup of all data stored on these systems.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft PowerShell for configuration and automation of server management, identity management, and maintenance.
- Assist the Technology Services Center with software management and policy deployment, using tools such as Microsoft SCCM, Microsoft InTune, Jamf Pro, and Active Directory Group Policies.
- Design, configuration, and implementation of network infrastructure equipment including switches, routers, firewall appliances, wireless controllers, and access points.
- Plan for and execute firmware/software upgrades on all network equipment.
- Configure and maintain Windows DNS and Windows DHCP services, including hostname assignments and IP reservations.
- Follow and implement current information security best practices in administrating all network equipment and services.
- Collaborate with the Network Infrastructure, Administrative Systems, and Technology Services Center teams in addressing network-related problems and projects.
- Submit requested network-related reports for status and future planning, as required.
- Assist in recommendation and determination of workstation support procedures and secure software configuration regarding network access and utilization.
- Assist with cybersecurity, compliance, business continuity/disaster recovery, mobile wireless (cell and carrier), and other duties of the department.
- Perform other department related support activities as needed.
- A Bachelor's degree is preferred in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent working knowledge of network operation systems and configurations required.
- At least two years of experience with Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later and associated technologies, including Active Directory administration, in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Ability to work independently, and as a project leader or team member.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent organizational skills are required.
- Excellent network troubleshooting skills are essential.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365/Azure, VMware ESXi, Cisco Catalyst and Meraki network equipment, Veeam Backup, HPE Storage, and other current technologies a plus.
- This position could on occasion require, bending, reaching, ascending, and descending stairs, kneeling, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, talking, and hearing. This position requires occasional availability outside of regular business hours for equipment installation, firmware/software updates, and other maintenance tasks as required.
LICENSES, TOOL, AND EQUIPMENT:
- Preferred Microsoft, Network+, VMware, and Cisco certifications.
- Where possible, the incumbent will obtain hardware and software technical training to enhance his/her professional capability and capacity.
- Valid driver's license is required.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.