Residence Life Coordinator
Rhodes College is currently seeking applications for Residence Life Coordinator. At, Rhodes College, we aspire to graduate students with a life-long passion for learning, a compassion for others, and the ability to translate academic study and personal concern into effective leadership and action in their communities and the world. We will achieve our aspiration through a college wide commitment to our vision. Rhodes' rigorous approach to liberal arts and sciences inspires students to discover and cultivate lifelong passions, and to make a difference in the classroom, on campus, in the city of Memphis, and throughout the world. Simply put, our mission is to prepare students for life and career, wherever those journeys take them. The Division of Student Life plays an integral role in the College's vision and values, and every member of the Division of Student Life supports the delivery of a transformative student experience. Job Overview: The Residence Life Coordinator is responsible for the support and effectiveness of the residence hall staff, and participation in the development of a comprehensive residential educational experience for students. This position will serve to as critical part of the Residence Life staff team, supervise student staff, provide direct care and support for students in a residential environment. The Residence Life Coordinator will be responsible for building a comprehensive and holistic residence hall program. The position includes on-call duty responsibilities, broad communication responsibilities, regular contact with students in a fast-paced and often ambiguous environment. Additionally, the Residence Life Coordinator will regularly attend division, committee, and departmental staff meetings. This is a 12-month, fully-benefited, professional live-in position. Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the selection and training of resident assistants, directly supervise and evaluate 10-13 resident assistants.
- Assist, supervise, and evaluate resident assistants on community development, program development and program execution. Attend programs and oversee assessment of programs in order to determine effectiveness.
- Provide support for residents in conflict or crisis through mediation, immediate and administrative intervention, or referral.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the halls, roommate assignments, the issuance and inventory of keys, and maintenance of buildings and contents.
- Advises, counsels, and seeks to develop residents in alignment with the department's mission, vision, and strategies to create and sustain a supportive residential educational environment. Please visit our Residence Life website to learn more about our mission.
- Share rotating evening and weekend “on-call” status with other Residence Life staff, Assistant Director and Associate Director.
- Fully understand and interpret college policies and procedures, conduct administrative hearings as appropriate, as well as create opportunities for resident assistants and other students to share in the development and evaluation of policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with housekeeping and facilities to maintain a living environment conducive to learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Regular attendance is an essential function to perform the duties of this position.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- This position requires a valid Driver's license, good driving record, and must be insurable by the College's insurance carrier.
- At least one (1) year of previous experience as a Resident Assistant, Community Advisor, or other housing/residence life leadership experience is required.
- Requires flexibility to work weekends and evenings when necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Must have the ability to solve problems and handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills are required.
- Must possess the ability to practice sound, ethical decision making.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.