SMU-2103786-Academic Director, Pre-licensure Programs (Sacramento Campus)
Who we are: Samuel Merritt University graduates improve health outcomes and reduce disparities for all members of our communities. We have spent more than a century preparing outstanding healthcare professionals through immersive learning and community engagement, and are deeply committed to transforming healthcare through diversity and inclusion. At the School of Nursing, we are at the forefront of educational innovation in theory and practice to prepare highly competent professional nursing leaders who are engaged in the advancement of nursing practice and the improvement of health for diverse populations/peoples. Our motto is education plus compassion which we proudly demonstrate in the ways that we serve our students, faculty, staff, and in our local communities.
Join a team of dedicated educators: Our faculty are known for their passion for growing the nursing profession. With this passion, we strive to awaken curiosity in our students and instill lifelong learning. Congruent with our values, we work hard to inspire service and leadership in our students. The position combines teaching, scholarship and service. We define teaching as creating environments that facilitate student learning and the attainment of expected outcomes at the course and program levels. Faculty has ownership for the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of the curricula within the School of Nursing which are designed to prepare graduates to provide nursing care in a dynamic health care environment. Service implies the use of academic and professional expertise to serve the University, the nursing profession and the community. Service consists of meaningful activities that promote the image, mission or strategic priorities of the University, the well-being of relevant individuals or groups among the community of interest or the professional growth of faculty. Scholarship reflects activities resulting in the production, reorganization/refinement, dissemination or creation of works that advance knowledge in nursing.
Position Summary: The Academic Director, Pre-licensure Programs, for the Sacramento campus is a regular ranked faculty member of the School of Nursing responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating academic offerings for the ABSN and ELMSN pre-licensure programs, support faculty, and teaching students in classrooms and/or clinical settings. Supervises the Sacramento campus based ABSN and ELMSN pre-licensure program faculty. The position reports to the Associate Dean, Pre-licensure and Undergraduate Programs and may supervise student workers, as necessary.
Major Areas of responsibilities include but not limited to:Administration (75%)
- Campus Academic Operations in collaboration with the Campus Operations Manager and Pre-licensure Clinical Coordinator:
- Creates annual planning calendars and course schedules
- Creates course schedules each term and submit to Registrar’s office (copies to ABSN Chair; ELMSN Director; Associate Dean)
- Ensures compliance with university and school of nursing policies and procedures
- Recommends changes in university and school of nursing policies and procedures, as needed
- Authors reports (e.g. contribute to Regents reports, newsletters, and accreditation reports)
- Responsible for ELMSN pre-licensure, and ABSN budgets for the Sacramento Campus
- Coordinates dates, deadlines, submissions and returns of materials from other departments including, but not limited to, Registrar, Admissions, Bookstore, and Student Affairs
- Supports students by communicating library and student services needs/concerns to the appropriate person(s)
- Ensures individuals are selected for class representative, school of nursing committees, and university-wide committees, as requested
- Responsible for communicating facilities issues to the appropriate person(s)
- Participates in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Sacramento Campus operations
- Collaborates with the HSSC for support for simulation and skills lab activities
- Collaborates with student services and program directors; participate in the ELMSN and ABSN information sessions, open houses and similar events to market program; assign other faculty when unable to participate
- Collaborates with program chair/director and faculty in the admission process to ensure cohort classes are filled and a healthy waitlist maintained
- Communicates pertinent information to office of registrar, admissions, and ESS regarding cohort size, start/end dates, and orientation dates
- Coordinates students’ orientation
- Assigns students to a faculty advisor
- Ensures academic/psychological/social support for students is available, as needed
- Advocates for dispute resolution prior to escalation to a formal grievance process
- Communicates issues regarding student performance to program administrators on an ongoing basis
- Interfaces with graduate program directors, as appropriate
- In conjunction with the Manager of Faculty Recruitment and Pre-licensure Clinical Coordinator, identifies instructional needs and recruits full time and adjunct faculty for ABSN and ELMSN pre-licensure programs for the Sacramento campus
- Collaborates with Pre-licensure Clinical Coordinator to hire and assign courses to adjunct faculty
- In collaboration with the Manager of Faculty Recruitment, coordinates interviews for full time faculty candidates with the Sacramento campus faculty and facilitates additional interviews with Oakland personnel/ search committees, as necessary
- Collaborates with faculty in the assignment of courses, classrooms, and labs
- Facilitates Sacramento campus faculty meetings and communications
- Facilitates Sacramento campus faculty participation in ELMSN and ABSN program faculty meetings and school of nursing faculty meetings
- In conjunction with Sacramento Campus faculty, implements and evaluates the approved ABSN and ELMSN curriculum and all courses; facilitates and communicates Sacramento Campus faculty recommendations for curricular changes as appropriate
- Ensures faculty submit grades, return badges, complete student clinical evaluations, etc. directly after courses completion
Administration of Clinical Sites
- Collaborates with Pre-licensure Clinical Coordinator to evaluate clinical sites and recruit, hire, orient, and evaluate clinical faculty
- Collaborates with Pre-licensure Clinical Coordinator to maintain positive relationships with existing and potential clinical agencies in order to procure and execute clinical placements
- Teaches in area of expertise.
- Creates a dynamic, learner centered environment that uses a variety of teaching methods that support the diverse learning needs of the student population and that are based on educational theory, and evidence-based teaching and clinical practices.
- Models reflective and critical thinking and serves as a coach and mentor for students; confers with them on their progress and assists them in the development of learning plans to facilitate successful achievement of course objectives.
- Maintains and enhances competence in subjects being taught.
- Confers with colleagues to assure the integrity of the courses across programs and the curriculum as a whole;
- Prepares and reviews written examinations, papers, and student projects; supervises independent study projects as needed, and evaluates learner performance in both the classroom and clinical settings.
- Notifies Course Manager of at-risk students or unusual occurrences.
- Supervises or teaches clinical rotations as needed in acute, community and laboratory settings as well as internship/preceptorship courses.
- Documents student progress on appropriate forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Draws on extant literature to design evidence-based teaching and evaluation practices.
- Exhibits a spirit of inquiry about teaching and learning, student development, evaluation methods, and other aspects of the faculty role.
- Demonstrates qualities of a scholar: integrity, courage, perseverance, vitality and creativity.
- Designs and implements scholarly activities as agreed upon with his/her evaluator.
- Engages in scholarly activities reflecting dissemination and professional peer review.
- Participates in Faculty Organization meetings
- Participates in School of Nursing Faculty meetings
- Participates in University or School committees as needed
- Provides service to the profession and the community
- Participates in University and SoN events as specified in University and SON attendance expectations.
Education and/or Experience
- Earned masters required, doctorate in nursing or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning, preferred
- Teaching experience of diverse students at the baccalaureate or higher degree level, preferred
- Rank is commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Unencumbered California registered nurse license
- Experience working with leadership in healthcare and academic institutions and community organizations, preferred
- Experience with faculty and staff development, preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Read and write clear documents
- Function effectively as a member of a team and independently
- Effective leadership and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational and operational skills
- Effective project planning, implementation, and evaluation skills
- Creates and sustains a culture of respect, cooperation, and innovation among faculty and students
- Travels to relevant campuses and meetings, as required
- Models appropriate ethical and professional behaviors, as well as expert communication skills.
- Embraces mission, vision, and values of the program, school of nursing, and university.
- Has a clear vision for aligning the safety and quality with student learning activities.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Nursing Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Administrative Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Business & Administrative Affairs Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Sacramento