Director of Human Resources - Office of the President
Based in Blacksburg, Virginia with locations in every county in the Commonwealth, Virginia Tech is a top 25 public research university. Under the leadership of a dynamic President, the University is growing in Blacksburg as well as expanding its presence across Virginia, most notably the Health Science and Technology campus in Roanoke and the Innovation campus in the DC metropolitan area.
As the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and a leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers approximately 280 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 37,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students across the commonwealth and manages a research portfolio of more than $531 million. The university fulfills its role as a land-grant institution by fostering a collaborative environment that integrates technology into all disciplines, so that the Virginia Tech community can serve as a force for positive change around the commonwealth, the country, and the world.
The President’s senior management division consists of a variety of departments such as Government Relations, University Legal Counsel, University Ombuds, Audit, Athletics, and more. Virginia Tech is a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and participates in 22 varsity sports at the division one level.
Virginia Tech is seeking an accomplished human resources professional to serve in the role of Director for Human Resources supporting the President’s senior management area. The position will report jointly to the Vice President for Human Resources and the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Special Assistant to the President. The director will align and execute unit-based HR strategy with the university’s mission and strategy, working as part of the larger HR organization.
The role will provide leadership, guidance, and resources for all talent-related activities including acquisition, development, management, and engagement and ensure there are clear linkages to the university and department strategy. Responsibilities include oversight of hiring and onboarding activities, training programs, performance management and employee relations, workforce planning and staffing, diversity and inclusion, recruiting, retention planning, and succession planning. This position provides advice and support aimed at building organizational cohesion, health and flexibility, as well as providing strategic guidance related to leadership development, alignment, and development. This individual will serve as the key strategy collaborator with leaders in the President’s senior management area. They will be part of the President’s administrative team and a member of a growing HR organization, part of an HR transformation in the third year of implementation.
As the university continues to grow and develop into one of the top 100 global universities, this position will focus on aligning organizations within a rapidly changing and complex environment. Organizational development and change management will be key for this successful leader. This person will provide strategic and tactical leadership to the service area. To carry out these responsibilities, this person must be proactive, a strategic thinker, understand the critical importance of planning and program delivery, be able to successfully balance competing values, and align recommendations and actions with the strategies of the university.
Success in this position will rely on awareness of the culture and environment of the President’s senior management area, the university, and human resources. This will be enabled by developing strong relationships across campus and fostering respectful communications and collaborations within a diverse community. Given the joint reporting relationship, this person must manage potentially conflicting interests, possess strong organizational skills, plan and schedule individual work and team work, set priorities, and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
• Related bachelor’s degree with significant related experience in human resources.
• Recent progressive and consultative HR experience in a complex organization with diverse cultures, and operating environments, including experience providing forward-facing strategic recommendations, working with senior leadership, and influencing and managing people and projects through direct and indirect supervisory roles.
• Increasing levels of responsibility to include a broad HR Generalist background with experience in multiple disciplines such as talent acquisition, talent management, talent development, performance management, compensation, and more.
• Experience in organizational development and change management.
• Experience working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with quickly shifting priorities.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to maintain discretion and the highest ethical and professional standards while dealing with confidential information.
• Management level experience delivering HR services.
• Master’s degree in human resources, management, or related field
• Related HR certifications such as SPHR or SHRM-SCP.
• Significant and increasing levels of HR responsibility within higher education.
• Experience working in government relations, legal, and/or athletics is a plus;
• Experience with multiple roles and perspectives desirable.
Anticipated hiring range is $110,000 - $135,000 based on education and experience
April 8, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 9, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Management Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg