Associate Dean for Extension/Assistant Director for Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource
Associate Dean for Extension/Assistant Director for Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Extension Programs
Job Description Summary
The College of Agriculture ( COA ) at Auburn University (www.agriculture.auburn.edu/) and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System ( ACES ) (www.aces.edu) are seeking applications for the position of Associate Dean for Extension and Assistant Director for Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Extension Programs. This 12-month administrative position will be located within the COA at Auburn University and fits within the organizational structures of COA and ACES . The Associate Dean/Assistant Director position reports jointly to the COA Dean and the ACES Associate Director. The position is classified as a tenure-track Extension Specialist with a COA and ACES administrative appointment. This position is a five-year appointment, subject to review. The Associate Dean/Assistant Director will be a member of the COA administrative team and a member of the ACES System Program Team to bring into alignment the programmatic visions and directions of the COA and ACES .
Responsibilities: The Associate Dean/Assistant Director provides vision and leadership in how Extension, research, academic programs, and other allied programs develop synergy to enhance collaborative research and evidence-based outcomes. The position provides coordination and leadership for Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Extension Programs carried out by ACES in collaboration with the COA, the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences ( SFWS ), and Alabama A&M University. The position is responsible for the coordination and integration of Extension programs that address timely issues in areas such as improving the productivity, sustainability and profitability of the state’s diverse agriculture and horticulture industries, promoting a safe and secure food supply, increasing environmental stewardship, and developing informed consumers.. The Associate Dean/Assistant Director will:
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Department Heads in the College, the SFWS Dean, ACES program units, and County Extension Offices;
• Serve as a liaison between COA and ACES ;
• Foster entrepreneurial approaches to engage faculty in the pursuit and procurement of revenue through grants, contracts, gifts and fees to expand programming;
• Mentor new Extension Specialists in COA and SFWS for agriculture, forestry, and natural resource programming;
• Provide input to Department Heads and SFWS Dean for the evaluation of Extension Specialists and professional staff with ACES appointments;
• Recommend changes to ensure constant improvement of Extension programming.
• Lead program needs assessment activities, priority program team plan-of‐work development, delivery of transformational Extension programs, outcome evaluation and Impact reporting;
• Be responsible for the recruitment, hiring, supervision, mentoring and performance assessment of Regional Extension Agents;
• Provide leadership to assure program alignment with the annual plan‐of‐work and direction set by ACES, COA, and SFWS ;
• Serve as the ACES representative to the Southern Region Agriculture and Natural Resource Extension Program Leaders Network;
• Provide leadership and guidance to priority program team coordinators and other team leaders;
• Foster the use of emerging pedagogy and communication technologies, including the appropriate media and social media, to engage new and diverse constituent audiences;
• Build teamwork through communication with ACES and departmental Extension Specialists, Regional Extension Agents, and others as appropriate.
• An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in a field within agricultural sciences, forestry, natural resources or related field;
• Experience and demonstrated effectiveness in leadership, as well as development, delivery, and evaluation of Extension programs that meet the needs of a target audience and create measurable impacts; prior experience as a department head or chair is desired.
• Strong working knowledge of current agricultural, forestry, and natural resource management issues in the world, United States and Alabama;
• A proactive vision of the future of Extension and the ability to effectively communicate with information users on these matters;
• An outstanding performance record in previous employment and a demonstrated commitment to the Extension philosophy and mission;
• Proven record in generation of revenue streams to support applied-research and/or Extension programming;
• Demonstrated skills in interpersonal and written communication and a proven ability to interact extremely effectively with faculty, staff, administrators and external stakeholders;
• Proven record of Extension leadership and scholarship to be eligible for tenure at the full professor rank in his/her appropriate academic unit in the College of Agriculture or School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences.
• Commitment to Auburn University’s core values of excellence, diversity, global involvement, and accountability.
The successful candidate must meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time of appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application Procedures: Applicants must submit the following in a pdf file format: 1) letter of application; 2) a statement of leadership vision for impactful 21st century Extension programs; 3) a complete curriculum vita; 4) names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of five professional references; and 5) copy of all transcripts showing degree(s) conferred. Apply online at: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/21725 .
Only complete applications will be considered. The search will continue until the position is filled, but to ensure consideration for the position, applicants are encouraged to apply by May 8, 2021. Please email questions to Dr. Eve Brantley, search committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier land, sea and space grant institutions with an enrollment of more than 30,000 graduate and undergraduate students. The University is located in the city of Auburn in east-central Alabama approximately 100 miles southwest of Atlanta, GA and southeast of Birmingham, AL and is about 60 miles from the state capitol (Montgomery). Visit www.auburn.edu for more information.
ACES and Auburn University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Leadership Vision
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Documentation
- Other Documentation (2)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn