The Director leads a department of IT application programmers, IT
application analysts and IT Consultants for identifying,
delivering, integrating, configuring, maintaining, training and
supporting the campus’ business productivity applications. The
Director serves as a member of the SJSU IT Enterprise Solutions
group and works in collaboration with leaders in SJSU IT Leadership
Team and other divisions to support the university’s strategic
This position will assist in conducting annual assessment of
services, quarterly measurements with formal reporting, and
evaluating and implementing needed changes to satisfy our students,
faculty, and staff. The incumbent oversees the planning, design,
development and implementation of the architecture of IT Enterprise
Applications and other university services in coordination with
peers in SJSU IT. This includes configuring, maintaining, and
supporting SJSU’s enterprise software applications.
The Director identifies, assigns, and prioritizes work assignments
for staff; develops personal growth opportunities and recruits and
trains staff and student assistants. The incumbent collaborates
with staff on project assignments, and with directors on staff
issues, concerns and staff development. Annual performance
evaluations and professional development of staff are part of these
duties. The incumbent represents SJSU IT in various collaborative
campus venues, leveraging them for feedback and guidance.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP),
and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will
require adherence to University compliance training such as:
Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment
Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention
Program. The person hired for this position may be required to
complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance
with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Communicate the IT mission, vision, and priorities to the
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback to employees through
regularly scheduled 1-1s and ongoing interaction. Provide annual
written performance evaluations and specific coaching on
- Develop and maintain annual workforce plan defining capacity of
roles and necessary skill development to provide defined services
within SLA and improve customer satisfaction.
- Recruit, interview, select, and train required staff and
student assistants to meet ongoing workforce plan and staffing
- Ensure the appropriate CSU and SJSU Human Resources, and SJSU
IT policies and practices are implemented correctly.
- Ensure the ongoing operational delivery of all services within
agreed upon SLA definitions.
- Develop measurement system to control ongoing delivery
performance of services and take appropriate corrective and
preventive action to ensure operational excellence.
- Develop and maintain annual/quarterly/monthly resource plan
identifying and allocating resources against projects and
operational resource services/requests.
- Work with User and SJSU IT management team to ensure a clear
prioritization of inbound work, tradeoffs of commitments, and
allocation of resources.
- Manage the execution of the overall portfolio of projects and
operational services within the department.
- Ensure projects are delivered on scope, on time, and within
- Manage the planning, design, development and implementation of
Web and Business Applications to ensure compliance with IT
Application Architecture, Data Architecture, and Security
- Ensure the ongoing maintenance and administration of all Web
and Business Applications to ensure compliance with support vendor
versions and security patching.
- Define, implement, monitor, and improve departmental
procedures, methods, processes.
- Meet departmental budget guidelines. Deliver budget performance
within +/- 5% of annual plan.
- Ensure the appropriate chargebacks, relevant MOUs, Statements
of Work, and confidentiality agreements are implemented
- Build strong partnerships and communication vehicles with
relevant units on campus and help set the direction for new
technologies and the improved use of existing technologies.
- Combination of demonstrated skills in end-user service
management, technology management, process engineering, customer
centric thinking, and executive communication.
- Strong collaboration, consultative, and teambuilding skills to
work effectively with faculty, staff, and senior administrators to
develop and implement appropriate uses of technology to solve
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in a broad range of
technology within a complex enterprise computing environment or a
- Demonstrated skill in hiring, coaching and developing a
technical and customer service team.
- Effective interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to
develop an environment that promotes partnership and transparency
with other organizations.
- Proven commitment to promoting and maintaining a
service-oriented culture that also supports a learning organization
where knowledge, competence and performance are encouraged and
positively impact business results.
- Possess a balance of highly developed management skills as well
as specialized technical expertise.
- Ability to manage people with increasing responsibilities
managing information technology professionals.
- Excellent oral and written technical and communication skills
required to communicate effectively with diverse academic and
administrative constituencies both on and off campus.
- A high degree of operations and service skills .
- Demonstrated skill in leveraging technology to achieve the most
effective and efficient solutions to support teaching, student
learning and business processes.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of systems design and implementation and application
- Ability to understand complex challenges and lead teams of
technologists to deploy appropriate technological solutions that
meet campus vision and mission.
- High ethical standards and business acumen.
- Skills in managing organizational budgets and tracking ongoing
expenses with budget
- Ability to remain professional at all times and to be part of a
- Ability selecting and managing outside software vendors and
consulting/contracting firms to deliver service.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science,
business discipline or other related area
- Five years or more of progressive experience in Information
Technology management position
- Leadership experience in Higher Education
- Ten years of progressive leadership experience in identifying
and implementing enterprise application solutions
- Five years of IT Project Management.
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits
package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more
information on programs available, please see the
Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application
and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
This position is open until filled.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a
contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may
be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying
information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly
withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily
complete the background check may affect the continued employment
of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment
and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor
vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks
are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate
Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU
will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of
required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS.
(e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated
reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to
nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship
status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic
information, marital status, medical condition, national origin,
race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation,
transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable
federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students,
faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the
Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state
laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education
programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off
March 09, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard