Director, Web and Campus Applications
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 9, 2021
The Director leads a department of IT application programmers, IT application analysts and IT Consultants for identifying, delivering, integrating, configuring, maintaining, training and supporting the campus’ business productivity applications. The Director serves as a member of the SJSU IT Enterprise Solutions group and works in collaboration with leaders in SJSU IT Leadership Team and other divisions to support the university’s strategic plan.
This position will assist in conducting annual assessment of services, quarterly measurements with formal reporting, and evaluating and implementing needed changes to satisfy our students, faculty, and staff. The incumbent oversees the planning, design, development and implementation of the architecture of IT Enterprise Applications and other university services in coordination with peers in SJSU IT. This includes configuring, maintaining, and supporting SJSU’s enterprise software applications.
The Director identifies, assigns, and prioritizes work assignments for staff; develops personal growth opportunities and recruits and trains staff and student assistants. The incumbent collaborates with staff on project assignments, and with directors on staff issues, concerns and staff development. Annual performance evaluations and professional development of staff are part of these duties. The incumbent represents SJSU IT in various collaborative campus venues, leveraging them for feedback and guidance.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Communicate the IT mission, vision, and priorities to the department team.
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback to employees through regularly scheduled 1-1s and ongoing interaction. Provide annual written performance evaluations and specific coaching on developmental areas.
- Develop and maintain annual workforce plan defining capacity of roles and necessary skill development to provide defined services within SLA and improve customer satisfaction.
- Recruit, interview, select, and train required staff and student assistants to meet ongoing workforce plan and staffing funding.
- Ensure the appropriate CSU and SJSU Human Resources, and SJSU IT policies and practices are implemented correctly.
- Ensure the ongoing operational delivery of all services within agreed upon SLA definitions.
- Develop measurement system to control ongoing delivery performance of services and take appropriate corrective and preventive action to ensure operational excellence.
- Develop and maintain annual/quarterly/monthly resource plan identifying and allocating resources against projects and operational resource services/requests.
- Work with User and SJSU IT management team to ensure a clear prioritization of inbound work, tradeoffs of commitments, and allocation of resources.
- Manage the execution of the overall portfolio of projects and operational services within the department.
- Ensure projects are delivered on scope, on time, and within budget.
- Manage the planning, design, development and implementation of Web and Business Applications to ensure compliance with IT Application Architecture, Data Architecture, and Security standards.
- Ensure the ongoing maintenance and administration of all Web and Business Applications to ensure compliance with support vendor versions and security patching.
- Define, implement, monitor, and improve departmental procedures, methods, processes.
- Meet departmental budget guidelines. Deliver budget performance within +/- 5% of annual plan.
- Ensure the appropriate chargebacks, relevant MOUs, Statements of Work, and confidentiality agreements are implemented correctly.
- Build strong partnerships and communication vehicles with relevant units on campus and help set the direction for new technologies and the improved use of existing technologies.
- Combination of demonstrated skills in end-user service management, technology management, process engineering, customer centric thinking, and executive communication.
- Strong collaboration, consultative, and teambuilding skills to work effectively with faculty, staff, and senior administrators to develop and implement appropriate uses of technology to solve business problems.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in a broad range of technology within a complex enterprise computing environment or a university environment.
- Demonstrated skill in hiring, coaching and developing a technical and customer service team.
- Effective interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to develop an environment that promotes partnership and transparency with other organizations.
- Proven commitment to promoting and maintaining a service-oriented culture that also supports a learning organization where knowledge, competence and performance are encouraged and positively impact business results.
- Possess a balance of highly developed management skills as well as specialized technical expertise.
- Ability to manage people with increasing responsibilities managing information technology professionals.
- Excellent oral and written technical and communication skills required to communicate effectively with diverse academic and administrative constituencies both on and off campus.
- A high degree of operations and service skills .
- Demonstrated skill in leveraging technology to achieve the most effective and efficient solutions to support teaching, student learning and business processes.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of systems design and implementation and application support/administration.
- Ability to understand complex challenges and lead teams of technologists to deploy appropriate technological solutions that meet campus vision and mission.
- High ethical standards and business acumen.
- Skills in managing organizational budgets and tracking ongoing expenses with budget
- Ability to remain professional at all times and to be part of a team.
- Ability selecting and managing outside software vendors and consulting/contracting firms to deliver service.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, business discipline or other related area
- Five years or more of progressive experience in Information Technology management position
- Leadership experience in Higher Education
- Ten years of progressive leadership experience in identifying and implementing enterprise application solutions
- Five years of IT Project Management.
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $11,653/month - $12,625/month CSU Salary Range: $6,250/month - $20,063/month
The final hiring salary will be commensurate with experience.
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 24, 2023 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert