University of Idaho
Division/College: University Research (Div)
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $49,920 per year
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The Junior Geologist position is a full-time, non-faculty exempt appointment stationed at the University of Idaho's Moscow campus. A Junior Geologist reports to the Director, coordinates work plans with Research Geologists and Senior Geologists, and assists and facilitates the completion of geological and geochemical field research projects at the Idaho Geological Survey (IGS). Position requires collection, analysis, and interpretation of geochemical and geological data and the construction, publication, and presentation of the research and conclusions to a diverse audience. The Junior Geologist assumes co-author or lead author position on geologic maps, technical reports, and other geology-related publications at the IGS. Position involves multiple, concurrent geological mapping and sampling projects, and the supervision of student support staff. The position requires extended field work and interaction with industry, state and federal agencies, academic institutions, professional colleagues, and the general public.
Master’s degree in Geology.
• Experience in development and construction of geologic maps and cross sections.
• Using geochemistry research methods, including data collection and analysis techniques to analyze and synthesize data for reports.
• 3 months of geologic work experience.
• Managing and/or curating datasets, preferably geochemical data.
• Field skills such as orienteering, data collection, geologic mapping, and field safety.
• Using computer software and applications for vector graphics.
• Using word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Using computer software and applications for GIS.
• Conducting independent research.
• Working as part of an interdisciplinary team.
• Writing research reports and articles.
• Greater than 3 months of relevant professional work experience.
• Experience with sedimentary or metasedimentary rocks and sedimentary processes.
• Work experience in one or more of the following: 1) mineral exploration or mining; 2) geochemical applications to geology; 3) geologic mapping.
• Familiarity with the geology of Idaho.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Ability to hike over rough terrain and carry equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Posting Number: SP002734P
Posting Date: 03/05/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
First consideration of applicants will be March 26, 2021.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.