Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine continues to develop and promote a culture that values inclusion, equity, and diversity among administration, faculty, students, and staff and is intentional in the recruitment, engagement, development, and retention of underrepresented populations within the college. The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will provide leadership, vision, and direction to the development, coordination and facilitation of new and existing programs and initiatives designed to deepen Virginia Tech’s commitment to an inclusive and diverse learning, living, and working environment. The position will be responsible for planning, coordinating and assessing the advancement of diversity, inclusion, equity and well-being of all stakeholders of the college. The Director will serve as a liaison between the University Office of Inclusion and Diversity and the college, and will report to the Dean of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech.
A core component of this work includes collaborating with department heads, admissions personnel, and human resources to advance faculty and student diversity, including recruitment and retention, and to interact with them on decisions related to personnel situations and academic programs. It is expected that data will be used to inform decision-making. The successful candidate will identify opportunities for outreach to national organizations within the veterinary, public health, and biomedical sciences professions as part of a proactive approach to identifying prospective applicants that promote a diverse workforce and student body. Salary will commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Other responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
• Prepare and present educational workshops for faculty, staff and students that deepen community understanding of diversity, inclusion, equity and well-being excellence
• Provide oversight of the search advocate program; work with diversity advocates and search committee members on best practices in the search process
• Coordinate outreach and recruitment programs targeting a diverse and inclusive student community within the College
• Develop mentoring and leadership development programs for college community members
• Assist with special projects related to diversity and inclusion
• Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree and training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree
• Experience identifying, recruiting, and/or advocating for underrepresented populations
• Experience developing, conducting and evaluating comprehensive education and training programs
• Experience working with senior management and/or faculty on issues of strategic importance
• Demonstration of cultural competence and sensitivity, as well as knowledge of diversity and inclusion issues and trends in higher education
• Effective communication/presentation skills and the ability to facilitate group meetings
• Undergraduate or Graduate degree in a field related to veterinary medicine, public health, or biomedical sciences.
• Experience working in a higher education environment or an agency that partners with higher education institutions
• Knowledge of issues and trends regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion in health profession education.
Faculty-Salary: Commensurate with experience/education
Review of applications will begin on April 15, 2021, and the review will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Applicants should provide:
• A letter of intent including general aspirations and expectations. Please include a statement of philosophy on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion with examples of how you have used this philosophy in past roles and how you believe you could best promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
• Current Curriculum Vitae.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Rebekah Woodyard at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 8, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administration & Leadership Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Health & Medicine Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Veterinary Sciences Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg