Vice President of Finance
Vice President of Finance
New York Law School (NYLS), an independent law school in the heart of Tribeca, seeks an experienced, strategic, and collaborative leader to serve as its next Vice President of Finance. The Vice President of Finance, in collaboration with the Senior Vice President/Chief Financial Officer, leads financial and operational planning that aligns with NYLS’s Strategic Plan. This role is a key member of the senior team who will have a high level of interaction with numerous internal and external stakeholders.
The Vice President of Finance has direct management oversight of a wide range of institutional financial functions, including general accounting reporting and operation, general ledger systems, investments accounting, debt and debt compliance, grants management, capital projects, financial reporting and compliance, internal controls, treasury operations, student accounts and other accounts receivables, policies, payroll administration, accounts payable, tax monitoring and filing, financial analytics, financial compliance, and other financial functions.
- Report directly to the Senior Vice President/CFO, serve on the School’s senior management team, and collaborate closely with the Dean and President, Academic Dean, General Counsel, and Board of Trustees, to enhance the School’s financial strength, including through operating and capital budget development and management, long-term financial planning and analysis, funds management, tuition and fees assessment and collection, student financial services, policy development, and overall financial compliance.
- Under the guidance of the CFO, lead the development and implementation of NYLS’s $53-million annual operating budget, including detailed forecasts of tuition and scholarship revenue. Develop budget scenarios and initiatives, and ensure that all expense budgets and income projections are current and accurate.
- Manage the use of Enterprise Resource Planning software (Banner) to maintain accurate records of revenues and expenditures. Prepare various accounts analysis and/or reconciliations, unitize the investments earning for distribution to the endowment funds, and prepare general journal entries and financial statements.
- Help manage NYLS’s $200-million endowment in coordination with the School’s Investment Committee and external investment manager and advisor. Ensure that the School’s endowment complies with federal and state requirements.
- Ensure timely payment of debt obligations and compliance with debt requirements.
- Direct all functions of accounting operations and oversee all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payrolls, student accounts, grants, and financial reporting. Manage accounting and financial reporting including expense reporting, appropriation accounting, special program accounting, cash management, income fund reimbursable, revenue accounting, affiliate billing, and grants.
- Ensure up-to-date documentation of financial policies and procedures through a financial manual that will provide the framework of standard practices and help maintain accurate records and compliance with federal, state, and local legal and reporting requirements
Leadership and Team Development
- Provide financial leadership to the School community to assist in effective resource management. Foster a transparent, accountable, and collaborative approach to financial and budgetary decision-making, building strong relationships with trustees, those on campus, and external stakeholders, including bankers, investment advisors, legal counsel, auditors, and others.
- Demonstrate effective leadership competencies, managing a team with varied positions to ensure accountability at high standards. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, and ensure effective succession planning.
- Proactively leverage technology solutions wherever possible to create a higher level of efficiency in productivity, customer service, and support. Act as the primary liaison to the Office of Information Technology in the implementation and continuing operation of accounting software systems.
- Ensure that NYLS’s financial processes are executed in accordance with accounting standards and comply with GAAP; all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws; and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Maintain and track compliance with internal controls and best-practice financial accounting processes; develop innovative standards and finance metrics.
- Oversee the preparation and filing of the School's tax return, Federal Form 990, the Fiscal Operations Report and Application, and the Federal Cash Transaction Report. Provide financial information for the American Bar Association Annual Report. Generate and distribute monthly departmental budget reports, and provide revenue and expenditure data for the preparation of the annual budget. Provide periodic reports to Senior Vice President/CFO.
- Demonstrated understanding of a system of financial accounting, including overseeing the chart of accounts, working with staff accountant(s) to ensure timely and accurate maintenance of the general ledger, maintaining cash flow statements, allocating costs appropriately, and preparing monthly financial
- Successful financial management experience in higher education or business operations at a senior leadership level with a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting and financial management.
- Experience working with financial aid and scholarships, private gifts, endowments, grants and annuities, enrollment figures, projections, and
- Clear and demonstrated record of outstanding leadership, strategic creativity, organizational efficiency, financial acumen, and ethical financial management, with the ability to communicate and translate technical concepts to diverse constituents.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success working with technology systems, systems analysis, and system implementation.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, computerized administrative relational database systems, computer accounting systems (preferably Ellucian/Banner applications), a report-writing tool (preferably Argos), and ADP Workforce Now.
- Skilled and inspirational leader of teams with attention to team mentoring, team development, collaboration, and succession planning.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and a minimum of seven to 10 years of a senior-level accounting /finance and reporting position, preferably within a non-profit higher education environment. (Master's degree and C.P.A. designation preferred.)
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter summarizing your qualifications and interest, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About New York Law School
Founded in 1891, New York Law School (NYLS) is an independent law school located in Tribeca, the heart of New York City’s legal, government, financial, and emerging tech centers. Known as “New York’s law school,” NYLS embraces the city as its classroom by complementing a rigorous legal education with an innovative and diverse set of “uniquely New York” experiential learning opportunities. Since opening its doors, NYLS has produced graduates who have gone on to hold high elected and appointed office in the city, lead large and small firms, and gain broad recognition as captains of business and industry. Its renowned faculty of prolific scholars has built the School’s strength in key areas of the law, including business and financial services, intellectual property and privacy, and government and public interest law. NYLS has more than 18,000 graduates and currently enrolls around 1,100 students in its full-time and part-time J.D. programs. The School also offers an advanced-degree program in Tax Law.
New York Law School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Competitive Full Time jobs in New York City
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Competitive Full Time jobs in New York City
- Financial Affairs Executive Competitive Full Time jobs in New York City
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Executive Competitive Full Time jobs in New York City