CREST-Student Engagement Coordinator
Position CREST-Student Engagement Coordinator Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Term Appointment Position Summary
The Forest Restoration Triangle ( FORT ) was created in 2017 as a partnership among three institutions: the Forestry Program housed in the Department of Natural Resources Management ( DNRM ) at New Mexico Highlands University; the New Mexico Forest and Watershed Restoration Institute ( FWRI ) at NMHU ; and New Mexico State University’s John T. Harrington Forestry Research Center ( FRC ). New CREST funding from the National Science Foundation will provide the financial foundation for this collaboration, increasing the research, educational, and outreach capacities for all partners. A major goal of the CREST program is to increase the number of students from traditionally under-represented groups entering STEM fields. FORT will ensure the training of a new generation of highly qualified investigators with the skills and experience to tackle complicated ecological questions. The incumbent will coordinate the employment and support of the NMHU students involved in the FORT research.
Duties and Responsibilities
o Work with the FORT senior personnel, FWRI and DNRM Forestry staff, and NMHU staff to handle hiring, support (including travel for field work), and continued employment of NMHU students associated with the FORT research
o Develop promotional material to advertise positions and deadlines
o Monitor budgets
o Design and update tracking databases for student progress
o Work with outside entities to coordinate and evaluate student involvement
o Work with FORT senior personnel to establish a network of agency and other employers throughout NM that can assist with professional development of FORT students
o Coordinate with other internship programs at NMHU, including planning and implementing workshops, policies, and promotional material.
o Gather data for the evaluation contractor and assist the contractor in assessing the effectiveness of the program.
o Assist with preparation of annual reports and other reports as needed
o Maintain regular attendance and punctuality
o Other duties as assigned
• For MS graduate students pursuing the MS degree
o Work with NMHU senior personnel to recruit new MS students
o Manage paperwork to hire and support MS students; numbers range from three in Year One to six in Years Three to Five
o Especially for MS students, to manage payment/reimbursement for conference travel
• For undergraduate stipend recipients
o Collaborate with DNRM Forestry faculty and NMHU staff to develop selection protocols for stipend recipients
o Work with NMHU senior personnel to recruit and identify stipend recipients
o Manage paperwork to award and support undergraduate stipend recipients; numbers range from six in Year One to twenty in Years Three to Five
• For undergraduate interns
o Work with NMHU senior personnel to recruit undergraduate interns, anticipated to be hired during the summers
o Manage paperwork to hire and support undergraduate interns; numbers range from six in Year One to ten in Years Four to Five
Minimum Job Requirements
• Education: A B.A degree in a field appropriate to the duties of this position.
• Must have the ability to effectively interact with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
• Must have understanding of experiential education and academic advisement practices.
Experience: One (1) year of experience in a collegiate environment to understand academic culture. Must have the ability to effectively interact with faculty, staff, students, and administrators. Understanding of experiential education and career advising.
A Masters’ degree in a field appropriate to the duties of this position is preferred, and experience with NMHU policies and practices is a plus.
• Must be willing to work weekends, evenings, and odd hours as required
• Must be willing to undertake limited travel.
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
• Employment is contingent upon continued funding over the expected five-year life of the CREST grant
Special Conditions for Eligibility Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must have superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity.
• Proficiency with Windows environment including word processing, knowledge or database programs
• Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team
• Ability to respect confidentiality and ethical boundaries with regard to guidelines, supervision, and professional consultation
• Ability to respond professionally to common inquires and/or complaints from students, staff, employers or community at large, regarding career programming and technology
• Knowledge, familiarity, and experience in New Mexico
• Ability to work productively, professionally and collegially with colleagues
• Lift or move up to 20 pounds – Frequently
• Lift or move more than 20 pounds – Seldom
• Sitting – Frequently
• Walking – Occasionally
• Bending – Occasionally
• Squatting – Occasionally
• Climbing – Occasionally
• Kneeling – Occasionally
• Repetitive hand motion and use of computer – Frequently
The CREST offices are located on the campus of NM Highlands University.
• Work is normally performed in typical interior/office work environment.
• Work with frequent interruptions.
Pay Rate $43,290 Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS462P Open Date 03/01/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three (3) Professional references in application, and 4) Unofficial copies of transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at email@example.com. NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER .
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6448 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current employee of the university?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Please describe in detail how your background and experience
would be applicable for this position in a College/University
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas