Administrative Assistant (Human Resources & Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
Provides administrative support to the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources and Diversity Equity & Inclusion. The successful candidate must enjoy a collaborative and team oriented work environment and is expected to work in a multi-cultural diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
- Performs administrative and executive clerical support duties.
- Prepares, edits, types, and finalizes written materials to include letters, memos, emails, expense reports, documents, correspondence, forms, contracts, and reports with direction from the Vice Chancellor.
- Manages and schedules Outlook calendar appointments and meetings.
- Manages departmental logs, spreadsheets, protocols, and other processes.
- Answers and screens telephone calls while maintaining exemplary customer service.
- Assists with questions or issues raised to the Vice Chancellor by students, faculty, staff, and the general public; provides referrals to appropriate staff for follow-up or resolution, as necessary.
- Maintains daily functionality of departmental office equipment, including regular maintenance, calling for repairs, maintaining inventories and stock, and evaluating new equipment.
- Assists in coordination of departmental and college wide events and projects including typing and preparing materials, collecting data, conferring with stakeholders, tracking progress, and disseminating results.
- Performs general administrative duties to include managing office supply inventory, ordering supplies, making travel arrangements, creating expense reports, tracking internal expenses, assisting with vendor contracts, invoices and payments; assists with the annual budgeting process and preparation.
- Coordinates authorizations for payments; maintains records of expenditures.
- Researches and evaluates problems in assigned area; recommends possible solutions for implementation.
- Maintains divisional intranet SharePoint site and instructs others on how to access and update SharePoint materials.
- Compiles and analyzes data to produce routine and non-routine reports, presentations, letters, communications, and graphics.
- Initiates and/or responds to routine and general correspondence and requests. Coordinates materials needed for meetings and conferences; assists in developing and typing agendas and distributing reports. Supports a strong collaborative team environment, working with others to resolve issues and concerns. Supports college wide and departmental meetings and trainings. Provides support to internal and external stakeholders by answering questions, supplying information, training, and other support including the development of slides, room reservation, and set-up. Creates and maintains various college and campus lists (e.g., Outlook distributions, organizational charts, emergency lists, etc.). Performs other related duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor as may be necessary, related to the above referenced duties, and necessary for the successful functioning of the Human Resources or Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion departments. Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
- Proficiency using standard office equipment (e.g., computer (desktop/laptop), photocopier, scanner, etc.) with the ability to quickly adapt to new technology and acquire new skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications and keyboarding
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, professionalism, and use sound judgment on disclosure of confidential and/or sensitive information
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills including ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders and customers across all levels of the organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including strong proficiency in punctuation, spelling, and grammar
- Good basic math and analytical skills
- Ability to prepare correspondence, letters, notices, newsletters and other materials; ability to develop compose business communications from outlines and notes
- General understanding and knowledge of human resources; diversity, equity, & inclusion; collective bargaining; or labor relations preferred
- Knowledge of or ability to learn human resources; diversity, equity, & inclusion; collective bargaining; and education administration, regulations, laws, and labor relations terminology
- Experience with input of information and maintenance of SharePoint is preferred
- Proficient organizational skills; ability to handle multiple projects on a strict timeline
- Ability to take accurate notes and speed typing preferred
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures and make decisions (within the scope of responsibility) when operational guidelines or procedures do not exist
- Experience with budget and accounts payable/receivable procedures
- Research and reporting skills including compilation and preparation of data and information
- Ability to manage multiple priorities including special projects
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all staff
- Flexibility to handle multiple and competing assignments which may extend beyond the regular work day
EDUCATION: Associate's degree or higher preferred or equivalent work experience.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) to five (5) years' or more experience in an administrative support position with a minimum of three (3) years as an administrative assistant to a person in a mid to upper management/executive-level position.