President, Clayton State University
The Chancellor and the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia seek an exceptional, vibrant, and visible leader with creativity, energy, and vision to serve as President of Clayton State University.
The institution: Clayton State University, a public institution of higher education and top tier regional comprehensive college, has become one of Georgia’s premier public universities since its founding in 1969. Repeatedly named one of the Top Workplaces in Metropolitan Atlanta, Clayton State has also been rated as a “Best Buy” for Georgia universities, ranked in the top tier of regional comprehensive colleges, and classified as a Community Engaged University by the Carnegie Foundation.
Clayton State’s Strategic Plan 2022 articulates a vision in which Clayton State will become a national model for university-based community engagement and for equipping students with the knowledge, skills, and motivation for continued learning and success as citizens of Georgia and the world. Clayton State’s goals have their roots in deeply held university values of collegiality—which requires collaboration, inclusiveness, teamwork, and interactions with a broad array of people —and of excellence, innovation, integrity, and transparency.
At Clayton State University, student dreams are made real in practical classes, internships, and real-life experiences. From over 34 states and 32 countries, students come to Clayton State for personalized attention, small class sizes, affordable career preparation, outstanding faculty, and a vibrant campus life. Located only 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta, the campus feels like a second home, with 214 acres of park-like beauty and an inclusive and supportive community of students, faculty, and staff.
The Position: The next President will be an accomplished leader with the strength and fortitude to lead Clayton State University forward through the complexities and challenges of the COVID pandemic and beyond. Among other duties, the next President of Clayton State University will:
- Strengthen, identify, and provide entrepreneurial, strategic, visionary leadership in the fulfillment of the University’s mission and vision.
- Lead with energy, creativity, and compassion.
- Foster continued growth of the academic enterprise surrounding teaching, scholarship, and creative activity.
- Thrive in a rapidly changing, globalized, technology-driven higher education environment that includes capitalizing on online and other digital technologies to expand educational opportunities.
- Promote a multicultural environment with a firm commitment to cultivating a diverse student body, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Actively foster a campus culture that values diversity, promotes equity, and pursues inclusion for Clayton State’s students, staff, and faculty across the University.
- Demonstrate a deep and authentic commitment to students – particularly first-generation, low-income, nontraditional students across diverse backgrounds and identities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic values, students and faculty, learning and research, and collaborative, shared governance.
- Promote outreach and programs at the local, state, and national levels to further the development of students, faculty, and staff, and increase Clayton State’s visibility nationally.
- Lead major fundraising initiatives for the University and foster relationships with the philanthropic community.
- Build successful and meaningful relations with business and industry.
An earned doctorate or terminal degree is preferred.
Please submit applications and nominations directly to the search firm, Anthem Executive. Review of completed applications will continue until the position is filled; however, completed applications should be received as quickly as possible, for optimal and full consideration. Candidates should include their curriculum vitae and a letter of application describing their relevant experiences and interest in the position. Please submit all nominations, applications, and communications directly to Anthem Executive c/o Scott Watson or Dr. John Rudley at: Claytonpresident@anthemexecutive.com
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.